Chris Davis is a Keeper

brianod

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to Elias, Davis is third player with 3-HR game and a win as pitcher in a season since 1900. The other two? Babe Ruth (1930) and Jim Tobin (1942).

The Tobin part was easy, the other fella - not so much.

I think Davis has a few good years ahead of him as he approaches peak production around age 28 or so. It would not be unexpected to see the Ks kick down a bit and the obp and power to kick up. I think he might be able to provide a couple years with ops over .775 - perhaps even a Luke Scott year in there. Davis needs to be a more solid contributor defensively to pick up 400 ABs between DH, 1B, 3B and LF.

The Tobin part was easy, the other fella - not so much.

I think Davis has a few good years ahead of him as he approaches peak production around age 28 or so. It would not be unexpected to see the Ks kick down a bit and the obp and power to kick up. I think he might be able to provide a couple years with ops over .775 - perhaps even a Luke Scott year in there. Davis needs to be a more solid contributor defensively to pick up 400 ABs between DH, 1B, 3B and LF.

I don't think anyone was seriously putting him in that category, or even in the realm of possibility.

Davis is what he is. He is no Mike Schmidt, but neither is he a sub replacement level player. :rolleyestf:

I am just wondering....If Davis leads the team in HR's and RBI's at the end of the season, will people still be on here calling him sub replacement? Lol. This is a great place, sometimes I come here to talk Oriole baseball. Sometimes I come here just to laugh.

I am just wondering....If Davis leads the team in HR's and RBI's at the end of the season, will people still be on here calling him sub replacement? Lol. This is a great place, sometimes I come here to talk Oriole baseball. Sometimes I come here just to laugh.

Walks are the new home run. In the world of sabre-metrics, Tony Phillips is the best player of all time:) All stats lie. I have read money ball and Bill James baseball encyclopedia and I understand a lot of the concepts. I also played the game and currently manage a competitive adult baseball franchise so I know the game a little bit as well. Personally, I think patience at the plate, the ability to hit a hitters pitch as opposed to a pitchers pitch is hugely important. Walks may be a sign of this, but they also might not be. In any event, all I said in this thread is that Davis is a keeper and I got two pages about how he is replacement level and Reynolds is better. I stand by my assessment:)

I was at last night's game and I cheered my head off along with 25,000 others at Chris Davis' marvelous performance.

Still, even after last night's game his season slash marks are .256/.304/.462. By way of comparison, Jay Gibbons' career slash marks were .260/.315/.453. Adjusted for era, Chris Davis is a better hitter than Jay Gibbons, and of course Davis comes by his power naturally, but Davis and Gibbons are roughly comparable in terms of strengths, weaknesses and overall value. Gibbons was a decent major league player for a few years, and Davis is also worth keeping for a few years. Players with this particular skill set (lots of power, poor plate discipline) tend to decline sharply in value after about age 29.

Walks are the new home run. In the world of sabre-metrics, Tony Phillips is the best player of all time:) All stats lie. I have read money ball and Bill James baseball encyclopedia and I understand a lot of the concepts. I also played the game and currently manage a competitive adult baseball franchise so I know the game a little bit as well. Personally, I think patience at the plate, the ability to hit a hitters pitch as opposed to a pitchers pitch is hugely important. Walks may be a sign of this, but they also might not be. In any event, all I said in this thread is that Davis is a keeper and I got two pages about how he is replacement level and Reynolds is better. I stand by my assessment:)

I understand the concept of WAR, and I also understand the reality that we don't have a player on our bench, in our system, or available on the street who can actually replace Chris Davis in this lineup right now.

I don't even know what the term "keeper" is supposed to mean. Obviously you keep people on your team until the cost of keeping them no longer makes sense (bang for your buck). Davis is a fine player. Not a guy I'd build a team around but he's fine. Great power, decent average and decent run producer. As long as he doesn't cost us too much or unless someone blows us away with an offer for him, of course he's a "keeper".

I always talk with my friends about the bang for your buck on Kevin Gregg. He's getting paid just under 6 million to do what?? I don't have the stats in front of me, but how much has it cost for each out hes been able to record? Crazy. Not the best bang for buck.

Btw great job Chris Davis last night. Three cheers!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

I was at last night's game and I cheered my head off along with 25,000 others at Chris Davis' marvelous performance.

Still, even after last night's game his season slash marks are .256/.304/.462. By way of comparison, Jay Gibbons' career slash marks were .260/.315/.453. Adjusted for era, Chris Davis is a better hitter than Jay Gibbons, and of course Davis comes by his power naturally, but Davis and Gibbons are roughly comparable in terms of strengths, weaknesses and overall value. Gibbons was a decent major league player for a few years, and Davis is also worth keeping for a few years. Players with this particular skill set (lots of power, poor plate discipline) tend to decline sharply in value after about age 29.

I am not accusing Davis of anything, but why do you say that "of course" he comes by his power naturally? I'd never assume that a player did or did not use PED's given all that has gone on in the last two decades.

I do think the Gibbons comparison is a good one. In fact, the swings of the two players are kind of similar.

Archived