Chris Davis is a Keeper

brianod

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just worried that the O's are going to overpay for a guy who is still pretty much ALL potential. I like Davis, but the reason he's valuable to the Orioles is because they are weak offensively.

Much rather find a left fielder, whether it's McLouth, Reimold, a platoon or a FA and bring back Thome at DH. Davis deserves to be on the team, but not in a consistent starter's role.

I'm just worried that the O's are going to overpay for a guy who is still pretty much ALL potential. I like Davis, but the reason he's valuable to the Orioles is because they are weak offensively.

Much rather find a left fielder, whether it's McLouth, Reimold, a platoon or a FA and bring back Thome at DH. Davis deserves to be on the team, but not in a consistent starter's role.

Idk, Reynolds numbers haven't been great against RHP this year. I could see Davis in a platoon with him at 1B, but maybe next year if they bring back Reynolds. I've grown accustomed to his improved defense at 1B.

• 1 month later...
I was at last night's game and I cheered my head off along with 25,000 others at Chris Davis' marvelous performance.

Still, even after last night's game his season slash marks are .256/.304/.462. By way of comparison, Jay Gibbons' career slash marks were .260/.315/.453. Adjusted for era, Chris Davis is a better hitter than Jay Gibbons, and of course Davis comes by his power naturally, but Davis and Gibbons are roughly comparable in terms of strengths, weaknesses and overall value. Gibbons was a decent major league player for a few years, and Davis is also worth keeping for a few years. Players with this particular skill set (lots of power, poor plate discipline) tend to decline sharply in value after about age 29.

But, but, but...he hit 2 HR last night. So, for today, he's the best player ever. You keep your logical negativity to yourself.

Today I was just thinking about how much of the success of the 2012 Orioles is due to trades that Andy MacPhail made, trades in which we gave up very little. Where would this team be without:

Adam Jones

Chris Tillman

J.J. Hardy

Mark Reynolds

Pedro Strop

Chris Davis

Tommy Hunter

Steve Johnson

Troy Patton

Robert Andino

Duquette has done a great job this year but credit has to go to MacPhail for getting some of these key pieces in here, at very minimal cost (basically a few relievers plus Erik Bedard.)

Today I was just thinking about how much of the success of the 2012 Orioles is due to trades that Andy MacPhail made, trades in which we gave up very little. Where would this team be without:

Adam Jones

Chris Tillman

J.J. Hardy

Mark Reynolds

Pedro Strop

Chris Davis

Tommy Hunter

Steve Johnson

Troy Patton

Robert Andino

Duquette has done a great job this year but credit has to go to MacPhail for getting some of these key pieces in here, at very minimal cost (basically a few relievers plus Erik Bedard.)

I'm very comfortable with giving Andy MacPhail credit for acquiring a lot of good players. However, it took DD to take those players and fully develop them. It took DD to fill in around them. For whatever reason, MacPhail didn't seem capable of finishing what he started. He would acquire a good player and surround him with replacement level players.

For the first time, I actually think it's possible for Chris Davis to hit 40+ homers for several consecutive years. I've never been a "doubter" of Davis and was happy when we traded for him, but I never really thought he'd be this good. It's taken me a long time to come around on him but I think I finally see the potential being a possibility.

Archived