Chris Davis is a Keeper

brianod

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At what point did it become a choice? I must have missed that.

My guess: When Buck decided that Reynolds' .786 OPS in Baltimore wasn't enough for him to give up his DH flexibility. As in, he felt that Betemit, Reimold, Flaherty, Pearce, etc. would at least match Reynolds' production.

Not saying one thing or another about Reynolds. Just saying that's the point it became a choice.

At what point did it become a choice? I must have missed that.

Would be nice to have Davis AND Reynolds in the lineup.

So put me down in the "both" category.

Don't read the post, it's too long. Let me summarize. I posted this in the middle of last year in a celebratory mood and got slammed by a bunch of stats nerds who all said that they would rather have Reynolds because he walked more. Their point was that Davis didn't get on base enough. I didn't say anything about Reynolds in the original post, all I did was state the fact that I liked Chris Davis. I was promptly told that he didn't have enough WAR in his past to warrant serious consideration. Well, suffice to say, baseball isn't played on a calculator and they were wrong about Davis then and they remain wrong today.

Don't read the post, it's too long. Let me summarize. I posted this in the middle of last year in a celebratory mood and got slammed by a bunch of stats nerds who all said that they would rather have Reynolds because he walked more. Their point was that Davis didn't get on base enough. I didn't say anything about Reynolds in the original post, all I did was state the fact that I liked Chris Davis. I was promptly told that he didn't have enough WAR in his past to warrant serious consideration. Well, suffice to say, baseball isn't played on a calculator and they were wrong about Davis then and they remain wrong today.

If you're going to gloat and insult, please provide evidence and be specific.

I guarantee you're only remembering what you want to have happened.

I'm going to let you gloat. The timing of your opening post was almost perfect. From the day you posted that until the end of the season, Davis hit .326/.392/.712 with 15 HR and 29 RBI in 36 games. Now he has 3 HR and 11 RBI in 3 games this year. So, that's 18 HR and 40 RBI in 39 games since you started the thread.

Do you have any stocks you'd like to recommend? Or maybe you'd like to start a "Flaherty is a keeper" thread?

I'm going to let you gloat. The timing of your opening post was almost perfect. From the day you posted that until the end of the season, Davis hit .326/.392/.712 with 15 HR and 29 RBI in 36 games. Now he has 3 HR and 11 RBI in 3 games this year. So, that's 18 HR and 40 RBI in 39 games since you started the thread.

Do you have any stocks you'd like to recommend? Or maybe you'd like to start a "Flaherty is a keeper" thread?

Thank you. I don't usually gloat, I think it's bad form, but this is too good to pass up. The thing that pushes me into is that I was hammered last year just because I posted that Davis was a stud. Oh, no, no, no. He can't be. Let me get my slide rule out and prove you wrong. I said that he was young and let's give him a chance, give him regular playing time and see what happens. A lot of people actually said that we should trade him because he'll never amount to anything and used his stats from Texas to prove it.

Of course, 3 games don't prove anything, but your right, the way he ended last year combined with this years start give us a pretty good sign.

As for stocks, you may be right. Remember, I was the guy last year who predicted a division win on opening day. This year I'm predicting 97 wins. I'm thinking of flying my son to Vegas to drop 5000 on the over/under. 74 wins? For this team?

Sorry, got to agree with brian here. There were lots of doubters about Davis last year. And I don't blame Brian for not wanting to look them up.

As Frobby said though, it doesn't matter. The facts are that Davis has proved he belongs. If he continues to be patient at the plate, the sky is the limit. Plus, he's by all accounts a great team-mate.

What I never understood about the Davis doubters was their criticism of a guy making 580K (that was Davis' salary last year). I mean, what kind of production did people expect at that figure? He was a steal. And I think the best is yet to come.

If you're going to gloat and insult, please provide evidence and be specific.

I guarantee you're only remembering what you want to have happened.

You are wrong. Read the post. There is one of us that is framing things the way they want to have happened and it isn't me.

Now, let's let it die. I agree with Frob, gloating is bad form. My last post on this thread.

Archived