Who are we rooting for tonight?

isestrex

They play the As and Angels and could really save our season.

To me the Angels are the most dangerous team. They look unbeatable right now. But we have a 3.5 game lead. I think that should be just enough to hd them off as long as we win the Jays and Sox series. We dont have to sweep, just win.

Then the Rays have a very nice 4 game set against the white sox in chicago.

The Orioles would have to finish the season 5-3 or worse AND the Angels would have to win out to force a play in game.

The Os would have to finish 4-4 and the Rays winout (including sweep against us) to force a play in game.

Considering the ramaining schedule of both of those teams, i think the Os are in prime position to get the WC despite todays loss. I really dont see the angels sweeping the rangers and the rays sweeping a 4 game seriea in chicago.

So i guess my final point is that .500 ball from here on out most likely gets it done and allows us to see Markakis play again this year. So lets get the win tomorrow and drastically increase our odd

And fwiw King Felix should pitch twice against the Angels. Ramirez pitching tonight against Wilson who has been scuffling a bit. Maybe we can get some of the replacement refs to help Seattle win a game (spoken by a frustrated Packer owner)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update on Series:

-The Twins did as well as I suppose could be expected taking 1 of 3 from the Yankees. Sadly, the Yankees "slump" of early August looks completely forgotten as the team is now playing with pride and confidence.

-The Rays swept both games games in Boston continuing to be the pesky fly that won't go away. They've won 7 straight games to remain a mere 3.5 games behind the Orioles (only 3 out of the WC). The goal, obviously is to have them sitting at 4 GB going into the final series with the Orioles so that all 3 games are meaningless to both teams.

-I said taking 2 of 3 from the Indians was a must (seeing has how the tribe hadn't had a winning series in a month), but naturally the reeling White Sox couldn't even manage that winning only 1 game. They've now lost 7 of their last 8 and also the lead in the Central division. The collapse is complete... now they will try and claw their way back into the playoffs.

NOTE: the A's, Angels and Tigers all have series wrapping up today and series beginning on Friday so I'm waiting a day to post those teams. For now, I'm still rooting for the Rangers, Mariners and Royals today.

Upcoming Series: (THURSDAY STARTS)

TORONTO BLUE JAYS vs Yankees

Yes those pesky Jays who just split a 4 game series with the Orioles will now be able to return the favor in a 4 game series with the Yankees. Naturally, I fully expect a 4 game sweep. The Yankees still hold a tantalizingly slim lead on the division of only 1.5 games so anything the Blue Jays could do here would be appreciated. Here's hoping for Encarnacion to blast another 5 homers this weekend.

CHICAGO WHITE SOX vs Rays

The Rays are hot, the Sox are not. This has all the readings of a slaughter but hopefully losing the lead in the division has rejuvenated them. The White Sox are 1 game behind the Tigers for the division and 3 games behind the Rays in the WC hunt. But seriously, the WC isn't really attainable for the Sox. This series is extremely important to Oriole fans for 2 reasons: 1, it could eliminate the Rays from any post season hopes before the final series against Baltimore. And 2, it could help the White Sox win the division over the Tigers (a much more dangerous post season team). I'm hoping for a 4 game sweep... but the way things have been going, that might be exactly what I get. :eek:

One other piece of pleasant information is that the dreadful "half a game" will no longer be in effect after today. Starting Friday, all teams will have exactly 6 games left in the season meaning that no team will have "half game leads" except for games finishing earlier in the evening. Thank goodness.

Update on Series:

-The Twins did as well as I suppose could be expected taking 1 of 3 from the Yankees. Sadly, the Yankees "slump" of early August looks completely forgotten as the team is now playing with pride and confidence.

-The Rays swept both games games in Boston continuing to be the pesky fly that won't go away. They've won 7 straight games to remain a mere 3.5 games behind the Orioles (only 3 out of the WC). The goal, obviously is to have them sitting at 4 GB going into the final series with the Orioles so that all 3 games are meaningless to both teams.

-I said taking 2 of 3 from the Indians was a must (seeing has how the tribe hadn't had a winning series in a month), but naturally the reeling White Sox couldn't even manage that winning only 1 game. They've now lost 7 of their last 8 and also the lead in the Central division. The collapse is complete... now they will try and claw their way back into the playoffs.

NOTE: the A's, Angels and Tigers all have series wrapping up today and series beginning on Friday so I'm waiting a day to post those teams. For now, I'm still rooting for the Rangers, Mariners and Royals today.

Upcoming Series: (THURSDAY STARTS)

TORONTO BLUE JAYS vs Yankees

Yes those pesky Jays who just split a 4 game series with the Orioles will now be able to return the favor in a 4 game series with the Yankees. Naturally, I fully expect a 4 game sweep. The Yankees still hold a tantalizingly slim lead on the division of only 1.5 games so anything the Blue Jays could do here would be appreciated. Here's hoping for Encarnacion to blast another 5 homers this weekend.

CHICAGO WHITE SOX vs Rays

The Rays are hot, the Sox are not. This has all the readings of a slaughter but hopefully losing the lead in the division has rejuvenated them. The White Sox are 1 game behind the Tigers for the division and 3 games behind the Rays in the WC hunt. But seriously, the WC isn't really attainable for the Sox. This series is extremely important to Oriole fans for 2 reasons: 1, it could eliminate the Rays from any post season hopes before the final series against Baltimore. And 2, it could help the White Sox win the division over the Tigers (a much more dangerous post season team). I'm hoping for a 4 game sweep... but the way things have been going, that might be exactly what I get. :eek:

One other piece of pleasant information is that the dreadful "half a game" will no longer be in effect after today. Starting Friday, all teams will have exactly 6 games left in the season meaning that no team will have "half game leads" except for games finishing earlier in the evening. Thank goodness.

Here are the remaining series for the weekend.

Update on Series

-After losing that painful double header to the Twins last week, the Tigers bounced back with a dominating 4 game sweep of the Royals and now reside 2 games ahead of the White Sox for the division. My worst fear (for that race) has come true.

-The Rangers and A's split the 4 game series which nearly closes the door on the A's taking the top spot in the division. Though with 3 games hosting Texas to close the season, anything is still possible. The real significant outcome is that losing two games allowed the Orioles to maintain their 1 game lead over Oakland for the wild card... so thanks Rangers.

-Seattle took one game from the Angels (a non Felix game too) and quite easily could have taken 2 of 3. The Angels are now tied with Tampa at a dangerous 2 games behind the A's and 3 games behind the Orioles for the WC.

Upcoming Series: (FRIDAY STARTS)

MINNESOTA TWINS vs Tigers

It's nearly hopeless for the Tigers to lose now, but maybe not having Max Scherzer will help... a little.

TEXAS RANGERS vs Angels

Time to put the Angels down. Losing 2 of 3 would be devastating for LA but with the way Greinke is pitching nowadays, it doesn't look likely. Thankfully Josh Hamilton is back in the lineup for the Rangers and wasted no time in hitting home runs.

SEATTLE MARINERS @ A's

The A's get the easy end of the Mariners' pitching staff (no Felix, no Iwakuma). All I ask is for Seattle not to get swept.... that could be very bad.

Here are the remaining series for the weekend.

Update on Series

-After losing that painful double header to the Twins last week, the Tigers bounced back with a dominating 4 game sweep of the Royals and now reside 2 games ahead of the White Sox for the division. My worst fear (for that race) has come true.

-The Rangers and A's split the 4 game series which nearly closes the door on the A's taking the top spot in the division. Though with 3 games hosting Texas to close the season, anything is still possible. The real significant outcome is that losing two games allowed the Orioles to maintain their 1 game lead over Oakland for the wild card... so thanks Rangers.

-Seattle took one game from the Angels (a non Felix game too) and quite easily could have taken 2 of 3. The Angels are now tied with Tampa at a dangerous 2 games behind the A's and 3 games behind the Orioles for the WC.

Upcoming Series: (FRIDAY STARTS)

MINNESOTA TWINS vs Tigers

It's nearly hopeless for the Tigers to lose now, but maybe not having Max Scherzer will help... a little.

TEXAS RANGERS vs Angels

Time to put the Angels down. Losing 2 of 3 would be devastating for LA but with the way Greinke is pitching nowadays, it doesn't look likely. Thankfully Josh Hamilton is back in the lineup for the Rangers and wasted no time in hitting home runs.

SEATTLE MARINERS @ A's

The A's get the easy end of the Mariners' pitching staff (no Felix, no Iwakuma). All I ask is for Seattle not to get swept.... that could be very bad.

TAMPA BAY/Chicago

JUST LOSE RAYS! Thanks; that is all.

Update on Series:

-The White Sox complete their utter and total failure by losing 3 of 4 to the Rays. At least they didn't get swept. Both teams are mathematically in this thing but it would take a miracle for them to force even a one game playoff. The Rays needed the Orioles to lose (they didn't) and the Sox needed to simply win (they didn't).

-After handing it to the Orioles and splitting a 4 game series, the Blue Jays returned the favor and split a 4 game series with the Yankees. Thanks Jays! :clap3: Thanks to the Orioles' sweep this weekend, it allowed the division to be tied. The Jays now get Minnesota to finish the season as their work in the AL East is done.

-Speaking of the Twins, they were only able to take 1 of 3 from the Tigers which (combined with the White Sox total meltdown) practically assures them of the Central division. The Tigers finish the season at KC needing to only win 1 game to clinch it.

-The A's did what they've done all season and swept the sad Mariners. Even the mighty King Felix couldn't stop them. Oakland still figures very prominently in the playoff picture and could even win the #1 seed if things fall a certain way.

-During the Rangers/Angels series, I switched affinities halfway through the series. My initial argument was to root for the Rangers to eliminate the Angels. However, the Orioles and A's sweeping their opponents made the Angels' winning a moot point. By the time we got to the Sunday double header, I was rooting for the Angels to win and increase the Orioles' odds of beating Texas for the #1 seed. The Angels were able to win 2 of 3 but couldn't complete the sweep even after an early lead in game 3.

Quick playoff scenario talk. Other posters elsewhere have detailed much more thoroughly what needs to happen in these final games. For the purposes of this thread, I'm simply announcing here that I'm counting the Rays, Angels and White Sox out of my "rooting" interest. Well, the Rays play the Orioles so obviously I'm rooting in that game. But I won't be keeping an eye on Cleveland or Seattle to see what happens... I just don't care at this point. For either of those teams to do anything, some really really good teams need to be swept and I just don't see that happening.

Upcoming Series:

BOSTON RED SOX @ Yankees

Unlike the Jays (who stepped up against division rivals in the last week), the Red Sox have gone 4-17 against playoff bound teams since August 28th. Yikes. You would think they would want to step up and crush the Yankees here but Youk, Papi, Papelbon, Beckett (all big names in the recent Yanks/Sawx rivalry in recent years) aren't on this team to care. The only ones who probably give a crap are Pedroia and Lester. Plus... they really stink. The Orioles need the Red Sox to win as many as possible in the final 3 games.

OAKLAND ATHLETICS vs Rangers

For the big one, I'm rooting for the Rangers to lose. With the Orioles secure in at least the second wild card spot, the worst they could do is have to travel for the WC game (and to do that, the Orioles would have to be swept which I don't see happening). My dream scenario is that the A's sweep the Rangers and the Orioles sweep the Rays leaving the O's with the best record in the American League. Go A's!

So who are we rooting for now?

At this point' date=' since we not only made the playoffs, but advanced to the A.L.D.S., I suspect that there will be a wide variety of rooting interests for Oriole fans in the other 3 A.L.D.S.'s.

All we [b']REALLY[/b] care about is OUR next series against the Yankees, but since it's the MLB playoffs ...... I gave it a thread. :)

I guess I could do a big Oakland vs Detroit thing... but at this point, I'm scared of both and not sure who to root for.

At this point, I simply say, "bring it". If the Yankees were playing in the opposite game, naturally I'd be rooting against them. But since it's Oak vs Det.... whatever. I don't care who we face. Both teams are on a roll right now and either team is going to be feeling pretty confident when they come out of it.

I sort of fear both the A's and the Tigers. That coliseum in Oakland is no place for hr-hitting Baltimore. Detroit always looks menacing on paper. Can someone throw out a bunch of stats that can prove why the O's should be rooting against someone in this series in order to make it more interesting?

Archived