Brandon McCarthy: Alert and in Stable Condition after Surgery

OFFNY

After being hit in the head by an Erick Aybar line drive last night, McCarthy suffered an epidural hemorrhage, a brain contusion, and a skull fracture.

McCarthy had 2 hours of surgery performed on him to relieve pressure on his brain.

He was alert and in stable condition upon waking up after the surgery.

http://www.sfgate.com/athletics/article/A-s-Brandon-McCarthy-mends-after-surgery-3846311.php

Guest rochester

I just heard/saw this on MLB.com - shook me to my core. Will keep Brandon and his family in our prayers. Thank the Lord that he was able to have surgery. Horrific.

What's truly scary about this is that there was no VISIBLE injury there on the mound; he even gets up and walks off. Meanwhile, he's got a fractured skull and hemorraghing.
I just heard/saw this on MLB.com - shook me to my core. Will keep Brandon and his family in our prayers. Thank the Lord that he was able to have surgery. Horrific.

Yep. A 2-hour operation to relieve pressure on the brain is the type of surgery typically used to save boxers' lives, not baseball players.

Glad to know that he is awake and recovering after a successful surgery.

What's truly scary about this is that there was no VISIBLE injury there on the mound; he even gets up and walks off. Meanwhile, he's got a fractured skull and hemorraghing.

Watch the replay again, his arms start to curl up ('seizure'-like...) as he is about to hit the ground and look at his face immediately after he hits the ground and tell me he is okay...

From someone who has had 7 brain surgeries totaling something close to 40 hrs... that was extremely scary to watch...

Archived