Does anyone else hate Oakland?

Moose Milligan

Disliked them back in the late 80's when they had McGwire & Canseco and every floater sports fan who just signs up for a 3-year fan membership with whatever team is hot at the moment jumped on their bandwagon.

Thats why Gregg Olson embarrassing them back in 1989 is one of my favorite Orioles moments, ever.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I may be wrong here, but didn't the A's have a bat s**t crazy owner who changed their colors from traditional to the yellow and green they have now? Also, the A's are the only team in MLB to wear white spikes.

This I did not like. Those white shoes looked ridiculous.

I may be wrong here, but didn't the A's have a bat s**t crazy owner who changed their colors from traditional to the yellow and green they have now? Also, the A's are the only team in MLB to wear white spikes.

Yes, originally the green and gold was a pretty crazy, outside the box idea. But now that we've had the teal craze of the 90s, the ridiculous trend of practically every team adding black somewhere in their color scheme, and a bunch of other weird things (looking in your direction, Arizona, Toronto and San Diego), the green and gold looks downright traditional. They've had basically the same uniforms since the ditched block letters in 1987.

Not really a fan of the white spikes myself, but it's pretty harmless.

Anyway, I don't hate the A's, but like most said, I hate playing them. Especially on the road. They have owned us for quite a while.

I should add, prior to this season I really didn't like Minnesota (though I have always appreciated and respected them). But after going 5-2 against them this year, I have no problem with them. ;)

We're 3-3 against Oakland this year. Win the series, win the season series.

I'll hate a team because of their fans/culture and because of their players/staff (see MFYs and Red Sux as epitomes of both). I find neither of these aspects of the As to be a problem (although I'll admit I don't know much about their current roster).

I was working on a project in Oakland in 2009 and went to an As game whenever I got a chance, if only because my hotel was less than a mile from the Colosseum. The stadium is a dump, but I enjoyed being there - pissing in troughs and buying beers from vendors that were literally holes in the wall of the concourse. It's different, and different is cool, in my book. I imagined it must have been similar to Memorial Stadium in some ways, although I can't remember it too clearly.

The fans tailgate before games and seemed to be a generally laid back bunch. That could have changed, now that they're winning, but I bet they're not too different from us - just without the glorious greatness that is Camden Yards.

On a side note, I was also there for one Raiders game and, while I didn't attend it, saw a ton of their fans in the local hotels. They are a scary lot. I got the impression that many of them come up from LA.

I don't care for them much. Ever since nick swisher days there they have to seemed to have our number. This year, we're at 3-3. Not only does the winner of this series take control of its own (wild card) destiny, but I have a hunch it'll determine who wins Manager of the Year. The media seems to be a tad more enthralled w Oakland right now... But if we can leap them in the standings... WE become the prime Cinderella again.....

And then my disliking of them will go down another notch... Perhaps...

Have some experience with living in Oakland? Why do you say this?

I havent lived there, so I guess that I wouldnt be qualified to say the entire place is bad. I just don't like it there and find SF to be a much nicer and cleaner place. Cal train is nicer than Bart, stadium is nicer(except Candlestick is long over due to be replaced). I am peninsula biased from the looks of it.

That was back when they were still in KC, before Charley Finley moved them to OAK.

3749706631_e00a4ebe91_o.jpg

Archived