Some News

Peace21

As a 19 year old in an extreme hitters league. BP ranks Tillman the M's number two prospect. Here is his scouting report.

2. Chris Tillman, RHP

DOB: 4/15/88

Height/Weight: 6-5/195

Bats/Throws: R/R

Drafted: 2nd round, 2006, Fountain Valley HS (CA)

2007 Stats: 3.55 ERA at Low-A (33-31-13-34); 5.26 ERA at High-A (102.2-107-48-105)

Year In Review: Ignore the numbers--scouts walked away highly impressed with Tillman in his full-season debut.

The Good: Tillman is a highly projectable power pitcher. He has a loose, long frame and good mechanics, with a fastball that sits at 92-94 mph and touches 96, which should become a more regular occurrence as his body fills out. His overhand curveball is a true plus offering that he breaks hard through the zone. Scouts love his aggressiveness, and team officials praised his ability to survive as a teenager in one of the worst pitching environments around.

The Bad: Tillman simply needs a little polish. While he’s hardly wild, he needs to improve his command and control. Like many young pitchers, his changeup needs some improvement, but he does show some feel for the pitch, and it’s already gotten far better since he was drafted.

Fun Fact: In his last seven starts, Tillman had a 2.50 ERA and 47 strikeouts in 39 2/3 innings.

Perfect World Projection: Tillman’s ceiling is considerably high; if everything works out, he’s a number two starter.

Timetable: The Mariners are well known for pushing their prospects quickly, and Tillman will likely hit Double-A at some point in 2008.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=6991

I like this. I like Morrow better still, But this is good. Thank You.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that's the case, then of course I agree. But when Belkast said that Andy's philosophy is quantity over quality, I thought it applied to all trades.

Given that he apparently held out for Kemp, and is holding out for Bruce and Jones, that really doesn't seem to apply.

Indeed. There are some nice lesser prospects in that system as well, but if you end up pulling those two, you significantly decrease the rest of the return, IMO.

That's why I suggested we replace Morrow with Butler and Tillman.

But would the M's take Bedard for Jones, Clement, Tillman, and Butler?

Excellent point.

I wouldn't be so quick to trade a talent like Clement, although I do understand the logic.

How many great young catchers are out there? A good young catcher is about as difficult to find as a good young pitcher.

If Clement ends up playing this year and plays well, having 2 of the best young catchers in baseball who are ML ready is not the worst situation to be in. How much would Clement or Weiters be worth then? Id say they would be worth a top talent at a position of the Orioles need.

Adam Jones and Jeff Clement by themselves is a very good return, IMO. I'm sure MacPhail will hold out until he feels he's made Bavasi & Krivsky lose a few nights sleep, though. He'll probably end up getting Sherrill or a few lesser prospects.

I just thought this was a good point worth highlighting - the fact that in this game of hot stover poker, he's played the Tejada pretty well. I still think he's playing it all very well still and if someone decides to bluff him, he can always wait for the next round of cards...

Wouldn't you say that we need one more player other than Clement and Jones? Maybe Sherrill as well.

I'd be happy with Butler and maybe one more lesser guy in addition to Jones and Clement. We aren't going to get much better than that if Cinci refuses to include both Votto and Bailey.

I might actually want to let Wieters get a season at something other than HWL before I got rid of Clement. We consider Wieters a sure thing, but really... anything can happen.

Also, Clement's value goes up-- way up -- if he proves in 08 that he can handle himself at the MLB level.

One of the great things about a true rebuilding year is the opportunity to grow talent. You can literally get better just by giving guys a chance to play.

No question about it. IMO, no way I flip Clement. I would be more than willing to part with Ramon and cash to get a guy like Brignac, if necessary. But if you open up a full time job to Clement and he establishes himself as I think he will, then you could likely trade him for a whole lot more if Weiters was pushing for a ML job.

Roberts needs to be dealt with Bedard in order to get Morrow, Tillman, and Butler. M's also have a good 2B prospect in Chen.

Huh? :confused:

I hope you aren't suggesting:

Bedard, Roberts

for

Morrow, Tillman, Butler

I think we should still send Roberts to the Cubs as we'll get the most value for our guys when dealt separately.

At the very least, I'm hoping for:

Bedard

for

Jones, Clement, Tillman/Butler & Sherill

and

Roberts

for

Colvin, Gallagher, Patterson

and

Clement

for

Brignac

No question about it. IMO, no way I flip Clement. I would be more than willing to part with Ramon and cash to get a guy like Brignac, if necessary. But if you open up a full time job to Clement and he establishes himself as I think he will, then you could likely trade him for a whole lot more if Weiters was pushing for a ML job.

Clement isn't regarded as a good defensive catcher, so that would only hinder our young staff. He's more valuable as a trade chip than he is at 1B.

Archived