Some News

Peace21

If Millar is going to be a type A FA we might as well keep him and see if we cant get those draft picks. Problem is Millar would most certainly accept arbitration.

Type A this year but not necessarily next year, especially if he has reduced playing time in 08 (as I certainly hope).

Besides, you answered your own argument with the part about accepting arbitration.

There is also a good chance that the O's will have a much better and younger alternative at 1B in 08. Even if not, Gibbons and/or Huff will probably see time there as well. Millar is not the worst player on the team, but he is one of the most useless.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still real good talk of at least two teams wanting Erik.

Interest appears to remain for BRob.

Melvin wants out! :)

Per chance Millar sent packing.... :002_ssuprised:

Does anything happen this week?

How about another holiday gift for the OH faithful before the 25th!!!!

I know we are on PR damage control with Huff, but Sexson has been dreadful while Huff was actually pretty good in the second half, he hit .300 and had OPS right under 900. Sexson makes 14 million this year and was waiver bait last year.

Huff would assuredly clear waivers as well.

Davearm, I agree with you on Huff for the most part. However, just as the LAD thinking was it is only money, and not prospect given up. Some team may just take a gamble on 2yrs/16 mil. Still a lot of money.

First, players would only have to be placed through trade waivers between August 1st and September 30th. Second, if a team was to try and grab Huff, I would just let him go. If we are talking about trading him for a salary dump, then we should just let him go if he were to be claimed.

Its interesting that mlbtraderumors.com, says that the Dodgers are still in it for Bedard.

I think it's from that Cinci article in which the reporter mentioned that the Dodgers were reportedly were in the lead for Bedard, which they were before Kuroda signed. My guess is they are out after that signing unless you are hearing different... ;)

Its interesting that mlbtraderumors.com, says that the Dodgers are still in it for Bedard.

I beileve that was from a writer in Sunday's Cincy newspaper. The writer was probably too lazy or ill-informed to update the article after the Dodgers signed Kuroda Saturday night.

I wish we were still interested in Bedard, but I do not think that is the case.

I think it's from that Cinci article in which the reporter mentioned that the Dodgers were reportedly were in the lead for Bedard, which they were before Kuroda signed. My guess is they are out after that signing unless you are hearing different... ;)

Nah im just going by what MLBTR is saying

They should be, their rotation id full of question marks. They dont have one pitcher who they can count on next year. To me, theyve got a number of 3,4 and 5 starters that they are hoping and playing work out. IMO, the best pitcher in their rotation is potentially Billingsley.

Who on their staff is likely to pitch to the level one would expect out of a #1 or 2 starter on a contending team?

I actually like the Orioles potential rotation with Bedard better. Bedard, Guthrie and Leowen are likely to all outperform anyone on their staff.

They should be, their rotation id full of question marks. They dont have one pitcher who they can count on next year. To me, theyve got a number of 3,4 and 5 starters that they are hoping and playing work out. IMO, the best pitcher in their rotation is potentially Billingsley.

Who on their staff is likely to pitch to the level one would expect out of a #1 or 2 starter on a contending team?

I actually like the Orioles potential rotation with Bedard better. Bedard, Guthrie and Leowen are likely to all outperform anyone on their staff.

Wow...over anxious much?

Lowe, Penny, and Billingsley is a good 1-2-3 combo. Add in Kuroda at #4 and SCHMIDT (ex-ace) at #5, that is a good rotation. They also have Loaiza that can fill in as well.

Last year was Guthrie's first in the majors and Loewen hasnt had a string of 10+ consecutive starts yet in the majors. Being realistic, we are the team wit the ??? marks in our rotation.

Yes Bedard would probably slide in at #1 or #2 on the Dodgers, but their rotation is okay without him.

Wow...over anxious much?

Lowe, Penny, and Billingsley is a good 1-2-3 combo. Add in Kuroda at #4 and SCHMIDT (ex-ace) at #5, that is a good rotation. They also have Loaiza that can fill in as well.

Last year was Guthrie's first in the majors and Loewen hasnt had a string of 10+ consecutive starts yet in the majors. Being realistic, we are the team wit the ??? marks in our rotation.

Yes Bedard would probably slide in at #1 or #2 on the Dodgers, but their rotation is okay without him.

Exactly. Some people here are way too critical of the Dodgers. As if they did something to wrong us. Their rotation is above average at worst, and top-5 in the league at best. Bedard would have certainly made them elite, but it's their prerogative to overpay Kuroda while holding onto Kemp and Kershaw and company.

Wow...over anxious much?

Lowe is as close to a sure thing as they have, Billinsgley's performance this season will determine if he truly has the stuff. Penny isn't nearly as reliable once late July / August rolls around.

We may have more question marks in our rotation, but we're not trying to win the division / league this year.

Wow...over anxious much?

Im not saying we dont have question marks, or that we are set on our staff. Really, I was using our rotation, and the fact that we are far from happy with it to show that the Dodgers should be far from happy with theirs.

Do you think the Yankees or Redsox would be happy with Lowe, Penny, Billingsley, Kuroda and Schmidt?

Schmidt gave them nothing last year and I remember hearing his velocity is under 90mph. He very well gives them nothing again this year. Saying he is a former ace and implying that he could contribute as such is less likely, IMO than Cabrera figuring it out and winning 15 games this season.

Penny isnt likely to duplicate last years performance and Lowe is an average pitcher.

If Im looking to go to the playoffs, Im not happy with that staff. Do you think any of those pitchers is realistically a #2 start in MLB this coming season?

I dont. I think Penny pitched well last year, and he is probably going to see a decrease in performance. He had a 3.03 ERA. Counting on that happening again is not smart.

This Dodgers team is not making the playoffs without a #1 starter added. Their offense is nothing special. They were 21st in the league in runs and their biggest offensive addition hit .230 last year.

1. Bedard

2. Penny

3. Lowe

4. Kuroda

5. Billingsley

looks a hell of a lot more likely to get them into the playoffs, and then go head to head with some other top staffs than

1. Penny

2. Lowe

3. Kuroda

4. Billingsely

5. Schmidt/Loaiza

They better score some runs.

Archived