Can football do this?

Frobby

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seriously? That isn't a very good argument on why baseball is better than football.

Oh yes it is! If you're down 6-1 in the ninth, you still have a chance. In football, if you're down by 17 in the fourth quarter, you are done. Big difference.

My favorite part about Baseball, and I think this comes from an Earl Weaver quote, is that you can never not play baseball. You can't coast, you can't keep the ball away from the other team. At the end of the day, you have to throw the ball to other team and see what happens, so you always have a chance.

Oh yes it is! If you're down 6-1 in the ninth, you still have a chance. In football, if you're down by 17 in the fourth quarter, you are done. Big difference.

No, Earl's quote totally disregards the rest of the game. Besides, I would think there are just as many if not more 17 point comebacks in the fourth quarter as there are 5 run comebacks in the ninth.

That is true, Roy. But, baseball doesn't have have game winning drives with less than two minutes remaining like the Ravens had against the Steelers last year. IMO, it doesn't get anymore tense than that. Each sport has something the other doesn't. They are both great.

Not really the same. But it is ok that you like football. Very different sports with very different gambling action.

No, Earl's quote totally disregards the rest of the game. Besides, I would think there are just as many if not more 17 point comebacks in the fourth quarter as there are 5 run comebacks in the ninth.

I disagree again. Time runs out in football. In baseball, as inconceivable as it is to you, a ten run lead can be overcome in the ninth inning alone. Football does not have that built into it.

My favorite part about Baseball, and I think this comes from an Earl Weaver quote, is that you can never not play baseball. You can't coast, you can't keep the ball away from the other team. At the end of the day, you have to throw the ball to other team and see what happens, so you always have a chance.

You can't kneel down, you can't run three into the pile. Every man get's his chance to beat you.

Earl said it best. "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all."

And Earl is right. He really is.

I disagree again. Time runs out in football. In baseaball, as inconceivable as it is to you, a ten run lead can be overcome in the ninth inning alone. Football does not have that built into it.

But, does that make it a better game? Like you said, they are very different sports. Both great the way they are.

But, does that make it a better game? Like you said, they are very different sports. Both great the way they are.

I really enjoy football. But I agree with the deeper meaning that Frobby alluded too. Some of it has to do with our generation, when football belonged to someone else for a while, but we always had our baseball team. It's ok to me that you feel as you do. One of the things I love about Baltimore Baseball fans is they act a bit like college football fans.

Football not only is missing the day-to-day thing, but it also has a clock. So if you're up 14 or 21 with 3:00 left you're a little nervous, but not even a tiny fraction as nervous as I was in the late innings last night. In football eventually you just go home because the clock ran out. In baseball there's always a chance.

To expand on this, there is baseball's own internal time factor that just adds to tension. An example is when a team slowly builds up a rally when they're behind over the course of an inning, with each pitch, foul balls, etc., slowly turning the screws of tension, going to full counts, realizing that the inning could be over on the next pitch or five batters later.

Archived