Matt Hobgood - is there hope? (No, there is not. Indy League bound.)

McLovin

Although most/many major league relievers come up through the organization(s) as starters, maybe they've decided that is not his future and want him to get accustomed to coming in later in the game/not starting/having men on/coming in with a situation to get out of? I don't know, just speculating.

My take is that they don't think he has a chance to make it as a starter and are hoping to salvage some value out of the pick by keeping him in the pen.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My take is that they don't think he has a chance to make it as a starter and are hoping to salvage some value out of the pick by keeping him in the pen.

And they do not choose to give him a starter slot and keep it for a deserving arm at this point. No need to hold someone else back that might develop value. Here or traded elsewhere. I can't imagine that Hobgood would have any. I could be off base, but really. Would anyone trade for him?

And they do not choose to give him a starter slot and keep it for a deserving arm at this point. No need to hold someone else back that might develop value. Here or traded elsewhere. I can't imagine that Hobgood would have any. I could be off base, but really. Would anyone trade for him?

Phillies? ;)

He will be lucky to have a career as good a Pedro Beato, another Orioles first round pick who never panned out but did eventually get a cup of coffee for a while in the NL (Mets I believe) as a reliever, even though he, like Hobgood was picked as a starter.

He will be lucky to have a career as good a Pedro Beato, another Orioles first round pick who never panned out but did eventually get a cup of coffee for a while in the NL (Mets I believe) as a reliever, even though he, like Hobgood was picked as a starter.

Pedro wasn't a top 5 pick, he was a supplemental pick and went #32. He has also spent parts of four seasons in the majors, to include 2014 with the Braves.

That is actually a pretty fair return on a #32 pick.

Pedro wasn't a top 5 pick, he was a supplemental pick and went #32. He has also spent parts of four seasons in the majors, to include 2014 with the Braves.

That is actually a pretty fair return on a #32 pick.

Mychal Givens has a good shot to be more valuable.

• 2 weeks later...

The good news is that Matt is off to a strong start and is putting up some of the best numbers he ever has as a professional. The bad news is that he's 23 and repeating at Frederick, so he should be dominating. He's not young for the league, he's still walking too many guys, and, although he's be good, as a reliever in A+ ball he really has to dominate to have some hope.

Remember, this is his sixth year since he was drafted. He's had several setbacks and it's nice to see him back but I am not expecting much more from him than what he is doing now.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Matt Hobgood hit 96 with life but loose command; plus slider. Looks better than last year. One to watch</p>— Tucker Blair (@TuckerBlairON) <a href="

">April 25, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The good news is that Matt is off to a strong start and is putting up some of the best numbers he ever has as a professional. The bad news is that he's 23 and repeating at Frederick, so he should be dominating. He's not young for the league, he's still walking too many guys, and, although he's be good, as a reliever in A+ ball he really has to dominate to have some hope.

Remember, this is his sixth year since he was drafted. He's had several setbacks and it's nice to see him back but I am not expecting much more from him than what he is doing now.

Let's be fair. He was a high school draft kid, not a college draft kid, so there is 4 years right there.

Repeat Frederick is a bit harsh. He only pitched in 9 games there last season.

I still expect to see him in an Oriole big league uniform and pitching for them, just give him time to progress through the system and develop. IMO.

Archived