Adam LaRoche

Greg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to have LaRoche, but at the right price. But, one statement in Brittany Ghiroli's column jumped out at me: "Baltimore isn’t in a position to add a lot of payroll ....."

Why not? The Orioles had an opening day payroll of about $81 million. That’s about $5 million less than MLB's median. The Orioles also drew 2.1 million last season, about 350,000 over 2011 (over $8 million additional), and that doesn't include ticket sales for the two playoff games. Also, they are expecting....and should expect....a significant attendance increase next season.....more $$$. Orioles attendance was #20 in MLB, but well ahead of Toronto and the Chicago White Sox, who are spending heavily on players. Plus, no ones seems to know the profits from MASN, but if Washington is demanding a $100 million cut next year, it must be significant.

So, does this go back to Angelos keeping the purse strings pulled tight, or is Baltimore really financially strapped to the point that they can’t afford to invest in guys like LaRoche….or even $9M for Reynolds…..or enough to resign McClouth?

So, does this go back to Angelos keeping the purse strings pulled tight, or is Baltimore really financially strapped to the point that they can’t afford to invest in guys like LaRoche….or even $9M for Reynolds…..or enough to resign McClouth?

Is this a rhetorical question?

LaRoche is a guy the Orioles should be in on, but he shouldn't be their guy. Aside from his great last year, he isn't much of an upgrade over Reynolds, who will come much cheaper.

Glad to see Britt's clarification. I'd rather explore other options first.

But interleague play is like 15 games a year against a different league. I bet most guys suck at hitting in Interleague play, advantage to the pitchers.

Actually a lot of guys rake interleague play. Ryan Braun hit .406 during it this year. Votto, .350 with 6 HR's. Cuetto 3 starts, 3-0, 21 K's. Just to name a few....

At the winter meetings so far. I would not discount LaRoche. DD has been focusing on players who can play D and LaRoche just won the GG last year. He also doesn't have to give up players to get him. I just don't think the O's win any kind of bidding competition with the Nationals.

I agree with this. I don't think the O's pay him Napoli money at this point, and I think the Nats do.... But I'd like to have him at first. He would make our infield D one of the best in the biz. Pitchers will immediately be better.

Archived