Adam LaRoche

Greg

But is it a position of NEED, or a position of WANT? Davis should be fine at first, and Betemit can handle DHing duties vs. RHPs- a decent RH DH is all we really NEED to get solid production at 1B/DH. If he would accept a 2 year deal, and didn't cost a first round pick that our thin farm syste sorely needs, I think it would be much more sensible. As it stands now though, I think DD is right to be apprehensive.

DH is the position of need in my opinion. The Betemit/Velencia combo is nothing that would scare me. I, too, think Davis will/would be fine at 1B, but the best thing about signing LaRoche would be filling the DH slot with a much better option. Just my opinion.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DH is the position of need in my opinion. The Betemit/Velencia combo is nothing that would scare me. I, too, think Davis will/would be fine at 1B, but the best thing about signing LaRoche would be filling the DH slot with a much better option. Just my opinion.

Betemit dominates RHPs- .865 OPS vs. righties since 2010. All you need is a bat that can mash lefties and survive against righties. It doesn't have to scare anyone, it just has to work. It doesn't have to be Valencia, though his .831 career OPS vs. LHPs suggests that he could win the role in ST.

Betemit dominates RHPs- .865 OPS vs. righties since 2010. All you need is a bat that can mash lefties and survive against righties. It doesn't have to scare anyone, it just has to work. It doesn't have to be Valencia, though his .831 career OPS vs. LHPs suggests that he could win the role in ST.

Can't argue with that. Sure hope it does. You would think Reimold will also get his fair share of DH at-bats.

From today's Post:

The primary reason for LaRoche’s slow-developing market may be the effective penalty for another team to sign him. Because the Nationals offered LaRoche a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer, any opposing team that signs LaRoche will lose their first-round draft pick in 2013. (The Nationals would receive a compensation pick between the first and second rounds.)

With the new draft system limiting how much teams can spend in the draft, first-round picks have become perhaps even more valuable than previous years – it’s generally harder for teams to wait for expensive talent to drop into later rounds. Forfeiting such a valuable commodity may give teams pause when they consider LaRoche.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2012/12/17/adam-laroche-doesnt-mind-the-wait/

Archived