Adam LaRoche

Greg

I like LaRoche (I like the idea of basically anyone else playing 1B other than Davis), but why not just sign Mark Reynolds on a 1-year deal? Head scratcher to me, particularly if he is asking for 3 years and costs a draft pick when Reynolds didn't.

Oh well-that is why they make the big bucks, what do we know.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not think the Orioles are the least bit interested. They are not willing to lose the 24th pick in the 1st round of the draft even though they have the 35th pick as well. I do not think DD is going to do anything as he has made it clear that he wants to build from within. This is just the the media trying to make us think they are doing something. Laroche has already turned the O's down once and now he wants to use them as leverage against the Nats. I think the O's should just come out and offer him 3 years at 36 million. It will then be in his court to sign here or in DC. If he does not want to be here then why do we want him.

Not necessarily. We only really need a RH DH to pair with Betemit, and we have several decent options in the organization already. That said, I wouldn't mind signing Scott Hairston for that role.

If the Os sign LaRoche, move Davis to DH. Which obv does makes our team better. Do you really think they are happy with: player x / betemit as the DH, when there are better options out there?

I am not saying they are going to sign LaRoche but clearly some form of talking has started again...IMO I still dont see the Os happy with that DH platoon you speak of and they are still looking for a MOO bat..

If the Os sign LaRoche, move Davis to DH. Which obv does makes our team better. Do you really think they are happy with: player x / betemit as the DH, when there are better options out there?

I am not saying they are going to sign LaRoche but clearly some form of talking has started again...IMO I still dont see the Os happy with that DH platoon you speak of and they are still looking for a MOO bat..

DD and Buck are both very smart guys, and are both aware of the value and flexibility that platoons offer. I'm sure they're also familiar with how effective platoons can potentially be if used correctly- the 2012 A's rode platoons past the big-spending Angels and Rangers to the top of the AL West and may have single-handedly brought them back in vogue. LaRoche may exceed our potential DH platoon's productivity a little in 2013(may), but he'll be 34 in 2014, 35 the year after, and he'll cost us our first round pick this year. Those factors make the decision to go with the platoon easy, IMO.

Giving up a draft pick is never ideal, but if there was ever a draft to do it - it might be this one. I might be wrong but this draft class looks to be remarkably thin so the difference between late first round and early second may be completely negligible.

Just throwing it out there.

If we had the fourth pick that's one thing, but I'd make a deal with the 24th pick for a major league position of need.

But is it a position of NEED, or a position of WANT? Davis should be fine at first, and Betemit can handle DHing duties vs. RHPs- a decent RH DH is all we really NEED to get solid production at 1B/DH. If he would accept a 2 year deal, and didn't cost a first round pick that our thin farm syste sorely needs, I think it would be much more sensible. As it stands now though, I think DD is right to be apprehensive.

Archived