Mark Reynolds signs with Cleveland

ChaosLex

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sad to see him go.

He did good work defensively at 1B. His overall performance in the clutch was abominable.

He will do very well for Cleveland. God Bless him. :)

MSK

Totally false that he wasn't good in the clutch. His RISP numbers this year were outstanding.

I don't imagine this changes anything. If Duquette wants a big bat, he'll get it. If he doesn't...he won't.

Its not a question if DD wants a big bat...of course he does. Problem is he doesn't have the resources financially nor does he have too many expendable trade chips. The trade chips he does have he probably values higher than potential trade partners.

I think a big reason Reynolds was not tendered a contract was because the only way DD could get any financial flexibility is by freeing up whatever it would have cost to keep him in the first place. Thus, leaving no room for "improvement". At least this way DD could attempt to get creative through trade.

4.27 p/PA....this is the stat that will most be missed from Mark. Without replacing that I feel like the Orioles will not have as many opportunities to win games late. It doesn't sound like a big stat, but I think in the era of the 100 pitch starter this stat is huge.

Well, it takes 3 pitches to strike out. So maybe you're onto something... just fill the lineup with guys that K 150+ times a year, and atleast we'll guarantee the starter is out after 5 innings...:D

This is one I will hold Duquette accountable for. I won't overreact before the offseason is over, but if we don't end up getting as much out of 1B/DH this year, and if Davis turns out to be a poor defensive 1B, this is going to be on Duquette. We easily could have brought Reynolds back if we'd wanted to.

On the other hand, the many posters who said Duquette had misjudged the market for Reynolds owe Duquette an apology. There were many posts saying that once we nontendered him he would get a multi-year deal at $8-9 mm a year or more. That wasn't the case. Duquette correctly judged the market, but I'm not sure he correctly judged whether we should keep the player.

If Reynolds wasn't already an Oriole, would we have wanted the os to sign him?

He went to the Indians, who are basically the Orioles now.

I like him for sentimental reasons, but unless his glove is actually a net positive (which is debatable), he's definitely not worth $6 million to be a .780-.800 OPS first baseman.

If Duquette wants to avoid that middle tier ($6-$12mm a year kinda guys), I see that as front office progress.

This is one I will hold Duquette accountable for. I won't overreact before the offseason is over, but if we don't end up getting as much out of 1B/DH this year, and if Davis turns out to be a poor defensive 1B, this is going to be on Duquette. We easily could have brought Reynolds back if we'd wanted to.

On the other hand, the many posters who said Duquette had misjudged the market for Reynolds owe Duquette an apology. There were many posts saying that once we nontendered him he would get a multi-year deal at $8-9 mm a year or more. That wasn't the case. Duquette correctly judged the market, but I'm not sure he correctly judged whether we should keep the player.

If he correctly judged the market, why didn't he make him a $6-7M offer? My guess, and I could be wrong, is he didn't want him back.

If he correctly judged the market, why didn't he make him a $6-7M offer? My guess, and I could be wrong, is he didn't want him back.

It's obvious now he didn't. Reynolds saying he wasn't even contacted was pretty much the writing on the wall, but we all held out hope there was something we weren't being told.

Certainly what it looks like. I'm not sure why he wouldn't want him back, he didn't have his best year and was still an integral part to this team and shored up the infield defense when he moved to first and performed well.

Reynolds lost a fair amount of weight last off season to try to improve his defense at third. I think it affected his power stats. It's not going to be easy to replace 30-35 HR's and above average D at 6 mil a year. Just MO.

Just to be clear Mark Reynolds didn't hit 30-35 hrs. I wish everyone would stop with that. Without an incredible HR hotstreak everyone would have called for his head. Also be clear that hardly any AL 1st baseman hit 30-35 hrs.

Just to be clear Mark Reynolds didn't hit 30-35 hrs. I wish everyone would stop with that. Without an incredible HR hotstreak everyone would have called for his head. Also be clear that hardly any AL 1st baseman hit 30-35 hrs.

I understand he didn't do that last year. Based on his career stats he is highly likely to reach that this year. Again, just my opinion.

Archived