Where There's Smoak?...

Number5

Just trying to connect some dots. Seattle signed Morales, and now have agreed to sign Ibanez. That would seem to leave Smoak without a spot in Seattle.

MLB Trade Rumors mentions a Boston Globe article by Cafardo connecting Smoak to interest from the Orioles:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/cafardo-on-.html

Seattle and Baltimore were both connected in some degree at one time or another to Swisher, and he has now signed with Cleveland.

The Orioles are still strongly linked to Saunders. This may indicate the possible trade of a LHSP by Baltimore. Seattle just gave up a LHSP for Morales.

I'm thinking something may well be in the works. Perhaps pending Ibanez's deal becoming final. Britton for Smoak maybe?

What do you think?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I'd want to trade Matusz or Britton for Smoak. I like the pitching depth and would only feel comfortable trading any of it for a proven bat...not a reclamation project.

What about Patton for Smoak? He was a starter for awhile in the minors and did well during his year at the big league level.

I don't think I'd want to trade Matusz or Britton for Smoak. I like the pitching depth and would only feel comfortable trading any of it for a proven bat...not a reclamation project.

What about Patton for Smoak? He was a starter for awhile in the minors and did well during his year at the big league level.

That was before he injured his shoulder.

I want Smoak.

- When we traded for Chris Davis, his wRC+ was 90. Smoak's wRC+ today is 90.

- Smoak is a solid fielder and is a true switch hitter.

- Playing in Seattle can screw with a hitter's mentality. Look at how mediocre Adrian Beltre was there, even after adjusting for park factors.

I don't think Smoak will ever be a franchise 1B, but I think he could be a very useful role player. Sometimes a guy needs a fresh start. Plus, I bet the idea of playing with his bff Wieters would probably make him happy.

I wouldn't trade Matusz or Britton for Smoak. He's had 1421 big league PAs so far, and a .683 OPS (.223/.306/.377). Decent HR power, especially playing in Seattle, but nothing else. He's like Mark Reynolds without the walks.

He's still young-ish (will be 26 next season) and a top prospect pedigree, but betting Matusz or Britton on him being the next Jose Bautista seems like a loser.

Patton? Maybe, but still probably not. I think Smoak has essentially 0 trade value - especially since the M's have no room for him on next year's team. What other team is going to offer a Matusz or a Patton to the Mariners for Smoak?

I wouldn't trade Matusz or Britton for Smoak. He's had 1421 big league PAs so far, and a .683 OPS (.223/.306/.377). Decent HR power, especially playing in Seattle, but nothing else. He's like Mark Reynolds without the walks.

He's still young-ish (will be 26 next season) and a top prospect pedigree, but betting Matusz or Britton on him being the next Jose Bautista seems like a loser.

Patton? Maybe, but still probably not. I think Smoak has essentially 0 trade value - especially since the M's have no room for him on next year's team. What other team is going to offer a Matusz or a Patton to the Mariners for Smoak?

I agree 100% with this post. We should be able to get him for a B level prospect. I would not give up Matusz or Britton for Smoak.

I wonder if bringing in his high school teammate would gain any points with Wieters as far as a possible extension is concerned. I know Boras is his agent, but just thinking out loud. Wieters seems to think highly of Smoak:

http://goosecreek.patch.com/articles/wieters-on-smoak-he-s-going-to-hit-at-this-level

Completely off topic here...

You know, I'd love to know if/where Smoak and Wieters played little league in Goose Creek. I spent quite a few years of my childhood in that town playing little league and I'm the same age as both of them. I wish I could find my old team photos. Wouldn't that be something?

Just to throw in some more feel good details no one cares about...the minor league team in Charleston was the Riverdogs in those days and our good friend Dave Trembley was the manager while I lived there.

Looks about right to me. Patton tops.

Archived