Dbacks and Braves agree to Upton deal

Going Underground

Of course the issue is that he OPSes about .500 against lefties, and try as Buck might he still let him face lefties about 25% of the time. It's just not reasonable to think a player in 2012 is going to be strictly platooned on offense.

To be fair, Betemit is not usually as bad against LHP as he was in 2012. He is a .637 career hitter against LHP and has been above .600 most every season (2012 being an obvious exception). If Betemit gets 25% of his at bats against LHP and has an OPS of .600, while having an OPS of .840 against LHP in the other 75% of his at bats, we are talking about a .780 OPS for him on the season. The Orioles would probably be okay with that assuming his right-handed counterpart is doing about the same.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course the issue is that he OPSes about .500 against lefties, and try as Buck might he still let him face lefties about 25% of the time. It's just not reasonable to think a player in 2012 is going to be strictly platooned on offense.

Seth Smith, Raul Ibanez and Eric Chavez say otherwise. This are just three that come to mind. As has been stated before it's much more practical to do this with the LHB. Buck (and probably DD) didn't really try hard enough last year.

Seth Smith, Raul Ibanez and Eric Chavez say otherwise. This are just three that come to mind. As has been stated before it's much more practical to do this with with LHB. Buck (and probably DD) didn't really try hard enough last year.

Ok, maybe I was too emphatic. It's possible, but unlikely, and heavily influenced by available personnel and injuries. Right now if something were to happen to either Hardy or Machado I'd assume one of the more likely options is Wilson Betemit becoming nearly a full-time 3B.

We had very little depth last year in terms of RHBs and 3Bs- Lew Ford got his first MLB PAs since 2007 for crying out loud. DD has done fine work in improving our depth there, and limiting Betemit's exposure to LHPs should be much easier in 2013 than it was in 2012.

Ok, maybe I was too emphatic. It's possible, but unlikely, and heavily influenced by available personnel and injuries. Right now if something were to happen to either Hardy or Machado I'd assume one of the more likely options is Wilson Betemit becoming nearly a full-time 3B.

Yeah, you undoubtedly have to pay some attention to bench composition, but it's certianly possible. In the case of the Yankees, they had 2 players that were strictly platooned. I agree that we'd likey have to have another bench option for third base.

His FIP, xFIP, and SIERA are all between a quarter run and a half a run lower than his ERA, and his BABIPs have been high. All of that more pronounced last year. His HR/9, BB/9 are good. That's reflected in his fWAR, which has been over 2.0 each of his four years in the majors, and 2.7 and 2.9 the last two years.

And the Tigers' UZR was 29th in baseball in 2012. The O's wasn't much better, but their defese is probably better aligned to Porcello's strengths with a good infield and possible weaknesses in the outfield.

It's plausible that he could be an above-average starter with the Orioles.

Thanks for the answer.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

The Diamondbacks have been reviewing the Braves' offer for Upton; some folks involved feel like it's a strong offer.

We can soon end this talk.

Why? Did you look into your crystal ball and see that a trade will be made with the Braves today. This report us vague and really confirms nothing. The only tangible news that come out of the Justin Upton trade talks over the last few months is the confirmed package that Seattle offered them.

I'm sure the Diamondbacks are shopping both Kubel and Upton and seeing what they can get in return. Would they prefer to trade Upton? God knows why, but probably, but they're certainly not going to give him away.

Let this be a lessen to other GMs. Don't put the cart before the horse. Signing Cody Ross before they had traded Kubel or Upton was a bad move. Now teams know that they HAVE to move one of them so they're just waiting for their asking price to drop.

Why? Did you look into your crystal ball and see that a trade will be made with the Braves today. This report us vague and really confirms nothing. The only tangible news that come out of the Justin Upton trade talks over the last few months is the confirmed package that Seattle offered them.

I'm sure the Diamondbacks are shopping both Kubel and Upton and seeing what they can get in return. Would they prefer to trade Upton? God knows why, but probably, but they're certainly not going to give him away.

Let this be a lessen to other GMs. Don't put the cart before the horse. Signing Cody Ross before they had traded Kubel or Upton was a bad move. Now teams know that they HAVE to move one of them so they're just waiting for their asking price to drop.

Forgive my poor English. I was multi-tasking when I replied!

The asking price for Kubel is dropping... What if the DBacks would deal him to us for Betemit and a lower pitching prospect like Bridwell? Would you do it?

It would give them significant salary relief and a better LH bat on the bench than Hinske (Goldschmidt and Chris Johnson are both RH). The deal would upgrade our LH DH offensively (30 HR last year and 117 OPS+... and 113 OPS+ for his career) but also give us a guy who isn't a liability in the field like Betemit. We'd have to pay the salary and give up a guy like Bridwell, but that's okay right? Win-Win?

The asking price for Kubel is dropping... What if the DBacks would deal him to us for Betemit and a lower pitching prospect like Bridwell? Would you do it?

It would give them significant salary relief and a better LH bat on the bench than Hinske (Goldschmidt and Chris Johnson are both RH). The deal would upgrade our LH DH offensively (30 HR last year and 117 OPS+... and 113 OPS+ for his career) but also give us a guy who isn't a liability in the field like Betemit. We'd have to pay the salary and give up a guy like Bridwell, but that's okay right? Win-Win?

Kubel is a liability in the field.

Disappointed to hear we're interested in Kubel. The only way I wouldn't be really bummed if the O's acquire him is if we acquire him dirt cheap. And I still wouldn't love the move.

Every report or speculation I've heard is that the Dbacks are interested in sending Kubel to us or that we're somehow a good match. I haven't heard anything indicating we have interest in Kubel.

Archived