Jair Jurrjens agrees to deal with Orioles

Greg

If you want to believe UZR, the best defense in LF for the Orioles in the last 10 years (300 innings minimum) was:

1. Melvin Mora, 2003

2. Jay Payton, 2008

3. BJ Surhoff, 2004

Have they had a non-pitcher that was not an awful player that was more hated than Jay Payton? Not sure what it was, but people steady killed him around here.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jay Payton came into a restaurant I worked at in BWI Airport one time. He cut me off as I was walking and he said, "Sorry." I muttled under my breath, "Not as sorry as I am about the Orioles over paying for you." I don't think he heard me.

Thanks Frobby. I'd rather spend the measly 1.5(that could be more) on a healthy arm with more upside, but there isnt much left at this point short of trading away our young arms. I happen to

think Matusz, Britton and Arietta ALL have more upside than Jurjjens.What the Orioles continue to need is more position players; a viable plan at 1b in case Davis goes down, a good LH hitter

and some more options at backup catcher. I may seem dour, but I like the Oriole roster if we can make any tweaks in that area.

Roy do you mean a good RH hitter? That's twice today I've seen you say a LH hitter

Thanks Frobby. I'd rather spend the measly 1.5(that could be more) on a healthy arm with more upside, but there isnt much left at this point short of trading away our young arms. I happen to

think Matusz, Britton and Arietta ALL have more upside than Jurjjens.What the Orioles continue to need is more position players; a viable plan at 1b in case Davis goes down, a good LH hitter

and some more options at backup catcher. I may seem dour, but I like the Oriole roster if we can make any tweaks in that area.

I wouldn't worry too much that DD won't make tweaks to the roster. He made tweaks to the roster on a weekly basis last year. We might have been the most tweaked team in baseball.

Have they had a non-pitcher that was not an awful player that was more hated than Jay Payton? Not sure what it was, but people steady killed him around here.

He was paid $9.5 million to put up a cumulative 71 OPS+ over two years.

Scary fact: Jay Payton took over $21 million out of baseball. :eektf:

I'd be willing to bet McLouth would easily challenge any of them with a full season in LF. Maybe I should have said best LF defense from a player who can also hit a lick since Melvin Mora.

Also, you're taking me awfully literally. :D

Well, and UZR is not the be-all and end-all, either. McLouth's UZR was -1.5 last year, but to my eye, he was above average out there.

I did want to add that BJ Surhoff hit pretty decently for the O's in 2003-04 (.757 and .785 OPS). He fell off the end of the earth in 2005, at age 40 (.638). He really never got much respect around the OH in those years, but he was pretty good for two of the three years.

Dan Connolly ‏@danconnollysun

And, in my opinion, Jurrjens pending signing does not -- at least should not -- affect the Saunders situation. Should be mutually exclusive

Right, he is basically an overpaid minor league invitee with a better MLB pedigree. The idea that he is set in stone in the rotation is nuts.

Well, and UZR is not the be-all and end-all, either. McLouth's UZR was -1.5 last year, but to my eye, he was above average out there.

I did want to add that BJ Surhoff hit pretty decently for the O's in 2003-04 (.757 and .785 OPS). He fell off the end of the earth in 2005, at age 40 (.638). He really never got much respect around the OH in those years, but he was pretty good for two of the three years.

Hasn't it been said that UZR is a better metric for measuring IF defense than OF? I can't remember where I read it, but it seems to me that it's still not considered by some to be wholly reliable. I like the routes McLouth takes vs. Jones. He passes the eye test for me.

I would think that Jurrgens signing is not official yet. He has be pass a physical. If we thought the Napoli physical by the Red Sox was tough just wait until Jurrgens has to pass the Peter Angelos physical. With two knee surgeries in his past its not a done deal that Jurrgens will pass.

Hasn't it been said that UZR is a better metric for measuring IF defense than OF? I can't remember where I read it, but it seems to me that it's still not considered by some to be wholly reliable. I like the routes McLouth takes vs. Jones. He passes the eye test for me.
All of these metrics are relatively meaningless unless the sample size is at least 3 full seasons at a position, IMO. None of these comparisons involve anywhere Near enough IN to be useful. Better off trusting your eye or scouting reports.

Archived