Jair Jurrjens agrees to deal with Orioles

Greg

I don't think anyone thinks that. Most people have acknowledged he can be sent to the minors.

Many people are saying that this eliminates the chance that the Orioles sign Saunders. It is not a giant leap to assume that the inference is that he is taking Saunders's spot in the rotation.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And then he actually traded for Dana Eveland and spouted some crap about wins in AAA to justify it.

Oh wait...

That move had no impact on the Orioles past, future, or present.

Nothing was given up for Eveland, and he made a replacement-level contribution to the team in his very short stint in Baltimore.

Many people are saying that this eliminates the chance that the Orioles sign Saunders. It is not a giant leap to assume that the inference is that he is taking Saunders's spot in the rotation.

Jurjjens' signing doesn't preclude a Saunders signing or guarantee that Jurjjens has a spot in the rotation.

From 2009-11, hitter hit. 218, .220 and .260 off his fastball. It was bad last year but he also lost velocity. Hopefully he can find that lost velocity. He could be a very good reliever if he could be a 96 MPH max effort guy like he used to be.

I understand his stats. I can log on to fangraphs like anyone else. I thought his career would head in this direction and now I will simply hope that I am wrong about him. I have been wrong before, Im' sure. Watching as many Nationals games as I have with my father, I would always challenge my father to figure out how Jair got anyone out. As it turned out, he didn't have a great deal of success against Washington. Its quite possible that the camera angle just doesn't do the movement on his pitches justice, but I have watched him pitch 30 or more and have never been impressed with anything he has. You watch some guys and understand how they get people out, I watched Jair and just saw it as a matter of time before he would be annihilated. I posted this before he had his struggles, and perhaps he'll figure something out, but I don't see what plus pitch he has. He is an Oriole now so I'll be a big fan of his, but he is the one pitcher, who was boasted about by the baseball world, that I was hardest on. Obviously nothing that has happened recently would change my personal opinion of his talent or ability to contribute in this division.

From 2009-11, hitter hit. 218, .220 and .260 off his fastball. It was bad last year but he also lost velocity. Hopefully he can find that lost velocity. He could be a very good reliever if he could be a 96 MPH max effort guy like he used to be.

AVG fastball last year was 88.6 MPH, he's not gonna find 96 again. Also, his fastball velocity was dropping before last season - there's a trend here.

I think this is an ok signing. The only thing I am concerned about are his walk totals. he has 18 walks in 11 games last year.

That was like two games when you were on the mound. :D

Seriously though, a flyball pitcher with a K-rate under 4 per 9 innings is not a good set of peripherals for success in Camden Yards.

You could easily say that the Atkins deal was just ripples in a pool of water.

I think the Atkins deal was one of the worst risk vs. reward deals that MacPhail did while he was here. Sometimes, a deal looks kind of questionable when it's done, and then looks worse in hindsight. But that was a bad deal before the ink dry and almost everyone on the OH thought so. I remember writing that this was a deal where MacPhail was out on a limb and his (and his staff's) ability to judge talent would be judged on that deal. And, he failed miserably.

I don't think the Eveland trade was even in the same universe. You do 10 Eveland-type moves to hope that 1-2 of them stick, and so long as they do, you don't sweat the 8-9 that don't.

I think the Atkins deal was one of the worst risk vs. reward deals that MacPhail did while he was here. Sometimes, a deal looks kind of questionable when it's done, and then looks worse in hindsight. But that was a bad deal before the ink dry and almost everyone on the OH thought so. I remember writing that this was a deal where MacPhail was out on a limb and his (and his staff's) ability to judge talent would be judged on that deal. And, he failed miserably.

I don't think the Eveland trade was even in the same universe. You do 10 Eveland-type moves to hope that 1-2 of them stick, and so long as they do, you don't sweat the 8-9 that don't.

I don't think you can make a case that the Atkins deal caused any long term harm to the franchise. We have no evidence to show that if the money had not been spent it would have been put to better use elsewhere and Atkins certainly wasn't blocking any young, talented player.

For the record I was as much against it as anyone else. They were both stupid moves. You pick guys like Eveland up on the waiver wire, you don't trade for them.

Why can't the Orioles afford a "big money guy"? Sometimes they earn their money. Why exactly do I have to "get over it?" Because I want this team to be more than a home base for projects?

Adam Eaton was a project. Garrett Atkins. Nick Johnson.Rich Hill.Danys Baez. Derrek Lee. They were all on the down side and we buy into the hope that they have nowhere to go but up,

or return to former glory.

Theres a ton of other guys like them that we sign.This guy was released by the Braves. If he had anything they wouldve signed him for something.I just feel frustrated that the REAL needs for

this team: 2nd base and another LH bat with good OBP is not addressed. We have enough solid arms.This guy isn't close to what we need. Low risk, high reward. Who cares? I just want high

reward.Im tired of bargain basement baseball.

LOL Roy. You're hilarious. If you think Jair is on his down side, think again. The guy is 26. He was the NL STARTER AT THE 2011 ALL STAR GAME

He hasn't even hit his prime yet. Lee was past it, so was Eaton, Hill, Johnson, etc.

Jair has hope especially with Peterson. The guy again, is only 26. He was picked OVER Roy Halladay for the 2011 Starter at the AS game.

LOL Roy. You're hilarious. If you think Jair is on his down side, think again. The guy is 26. He was the NL STARTER AT THE 2011 ALL STAR GAME

He hasn't even hit his prime yet. Lee was past it, so was Eaton, Hill, Johnson, etc.

Jair has hope especially with Peterson. The guy again, is only 26. He was picked OVER Roy Halladay for the 2011 Starter at the AS game.

Some guys hit their "prime" earlier then others. Lots of pitchers start declining early, their bodies just can't handle the stress.

Just because a player is reaching their "peak years" doesn't guarantee anything. Nick's best year so far was when he was 24. As gifted as Mike Trout is odds are good 2012 will be his "peak year".

Archived