Who's your 4th bench guy?

El Gordo

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tommy Hunter and Steve Johnson come to mind. If Hunter isn't traded, the role is his.

Actually, I'd prefer if Hunter WASN'T mister mop-op guy. He proved last year that he was at his best when he came in to face 1 batter or to finish an inning off. He knew he could light up the gun and leave it all out for one performance. I would grow weary seeing him go 2-3 innings. IMO, he's our ROOGY (Right handed one out guy). I'd rather see Patton or Ayala in mop up duty over Hunter.

I don't want a mopup guy who you're afraid to bring into non-blowouts. I want seven competent relievers, and some of those will be available to eat up garbage innings on occasion.
Tommy Hunter and Steve Johnson come to mind. If Hunter isn't traded, the role is his.
Neither do I. But neither one of us knows what this kid can do. DD picked him for a reason.
Actually, I'd prefer if Hunter WASN'T mister mop-op guy. He proved last year that he was at his best when he came in to face 1 batter or to finish an inning off. He knew he could light up the gun and leave it all out for one performance. I would grow weary seeing him go 2-3 innings. IMO, he's our ROOGY (Right handed one out guy). I'd rather see Patton or Ayala in mop up duty over Hunter.

I love how a thread about the 4th bench guy turns into a bullpen discussion.

I'd go with this as my bullpen:

JJ

O'Day

Strop

Patton

Ayala

Hunter

Wada/Johnson/MacFarland

That's a pretty strong pen.

I love how a thread about the 4th bench guy turns into a bullpen discussion.

I'd go with this as my bullpen:

JJ

O'Day

Strop

Patton

Ayala

Hunter

Wada/Johnson/MacFarland

That's a pretty strong pen.

As of today I'd go with

JJ

Matusz

O'Day

Patton

Strop

Ayala

Hunter

SJ is the first man up if anyone goes down.

As of today I'd go with

JJ

Matusz

O'Day

Patton

Strop

Ayala

Hunter

SJ is the first man up if anyone goes down.

I'd rather give Matusz a chance to win the #5 spot, and if he doesn't have him in line to come up and start if someone can't go. I'm not quite ready to give up on him as a SP, and I think that would happen if he starts out in the pen.

The only reason I think Macfarland has really no shot at making the team is because he would leave us a bullpen full of people with no options. As we know buck and dd love to shuttle pitchers up and down. I could see that happening all year with Arrietta, Matusz, Wada, and Johnson. Players who aren't are 5th starter but will be up and down to have fresh arms. I know there is an awesome thread about option statuses. But what is the status of Jurrjens and Hunter. I know O'day has options but he's not going anywhere. Actually I wouldn't put it past DD to go with Macfarland early on then send him back just to steal some innings out of his arm, and possibly let matusz make a couple triple a starts.

I'd rather give Matusz a chance to win the #5 spot, and if he doesn't have him in line to come up and start if someone can't go. I'm not quite ready to give up on him as a SP, and I think that would happen if he starts out in the pen.

Why do you see putting him in the pen as giving up on him as a starter? I see it as making the team better.

I like Valencia for the 4th bench guy. With Casilla (or Flaherty if Roberts fails) and McLouth already on the bench, we don't need to worry about versatility for the final spot and .316/.359/.472 against LHP speaks for itself. There'd definitely be plenty of opportunity for AB's in place of Betemit/Davis, and he's a much more experienced option for backing up 3B than Casilla.

Expect the rotation ends up being Hammel/Chen/Tillman/Gonzalez/Jurrjens, which leaves JJ/O'Day/Patton/Matusz/Strop/Ayala for the first six bullpen spots and Hunter and MacFarland competing for the final spot (with maybe Bundy, Wada, SJohnson, Arrieta, and Britton also in the mix if they have a strong spring).

DD has spent almost the whole off season trying to peddle one or two of his young starters for a MOO bat. I doubt that he stops doing that now. I think that he will stockpiles pitching until he attracts some team that has a hitter to trade. That could happen in ST or sometime during the year. This is just another reason for McFarland to stay if he is a decent pitcher for the #5 spot in the rotation or in the pen.

I don't think DD or Buck would mind spending players with options to the minors as long as it is not O'Day, Chen or probably Gonzalez.

Archived