Bill James Projections...would you be happy?

miggyfan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does it seem strange to anyone else how often he goes to very traditional numbers when they ask his opinion on these shows? He seems to base his opinions on BA and RBI a lot.

What killed me was when he said with a straight face that for the 2013 season he would take Pujols over Votto.

Do you really hate Bill James, or are you just trying to get me stirred up?

I understand and respect what he's done for how we analyze baseball, but I think he's pretty pompous and arrogant. Some of his stuff is funny.

I suppose it's really hard not to grow a giant ego and heightened sense of self importance if thousands of people are kissing your ass and telling you how smart you are, though.

Does it seem strange to anyone else how often he goes to very traditional numbers when they ask his opinion on these shows? He seems to base his opinions on BA and RBI a lot.

That's probably because for most of his career he'd go on a show and expect 0.5% of the audience knew anything beyond BA and RBI. I mean, he was doing this in 1984 when you might get an announcer on TV to briefly mention that there was this crazy idea that it was easier to hit in one park than another. I'm sure he got used to explaining things at the lowest possible level when the conclusions don't change with more complexity.

I suppose it's really hard not to grow a giant ego and heightened sense of self importance if thousands of people are kissing your ass and telling you how smart you are, though.

Except that until about 10 years ago the majority of the baseball establishment was telling him he's not just an idiot, but the biggest idiot ever.

I know this after watching Bill James on Top 10 right now. He's batting under the Mendoza line on social skills and eye contact.

Yeah, he has zero personality. Still, it has been interesting to listen to a lot of his input in MLB Network of late. He ventures out into a lot more subjective areas than I would have thought (i.e. skills/scouting/observational inputs). I believe he rated Zach Greinke in the top 3 or 4 of ML pitchers right now and went on to justify the selection based on Greinke's "pitchability".

Archived