All purpose NCAA tourney bid thread

Max Power

UNC has without a doubt been the best team thus far in the tourney and it really helps them that KU and UCONN got knocked out early.

Don't sleep on Nova or NC St but no excuse for UNC not to be in the final 4.

And i agree with you...No championship means dissapointment, especially if they lose to Duke in the final 4. :D

It does help, although I did believe that Villanova was the second best team in that bracket.

My god, UNC/Duke in the Final 4 would be unreal...I like Duke's chances now to be honest. We'll see.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that was interesting this weekend was seeing some of the teams that won their conference tourneys or got to the finals.

Duke struggled, OK St had a tougher time than people thought...Syracuse lost....Fla looked awful. GT got destroyed. You have to wonder if these teams expended alot of energy and it carried over to the weekend. For those who advanced, they should be ok for next weekend.

Of course, teams like Washington,Texas Tech, Louisville and West Virginia seemed to ride the high of their conference tourney performances.

1) Louisville plays Washington. Illinois plays Milwaukee but does have the winner of Arizona/OK St. Duke has MSU and if they win, either Kent or Utah. Duke has a slightly tougher road but not by much.

2) Totally agree with what you said about the Duke game. Their big 3 carried them today. They need production out of Nelson and Melchionni if they want to beat Mich St.

My bad, got the brackets mixed up.

Well, the ACC paid back the Big East. Great win for NC State!!!!

Wow. What a game.

Hodge tore up Gay.

Max....You ok bud?

I'm fine, although a bit hungover today. A tough loss with some bull**** blocking calls but this team was just so unlucky this year with it's health. Marcus Williams played ok with a hurt shoulder but UConn looked really tired the past three games. I think if Denham Brown (knee in BE tourney) or Rashad Anderson (infection) were healthy this team could have made a run since both guys were playing their best basketball ever when they were hurt. The fact those guys put up 5 total points and Rudy Gay was a no show it was amazing they were even in the game. On top of that, they committed around 20 turnovers, shot awful from three, and ignored Villanueva for most of the second half and were tied with 4 seconds left. Calhoun seemed crushed in the post game which I dont recall happening for a long time. They could be very good next year but they need to find a leader on the court.

NC St played pretty well but they really are a team of some loathsome individuals. Sendek seems like the kind of guy who would run a cleaner program but Julius Hodge is such an ass on the court. Amazing that everyone on tv gave him a pass on his gangster impersonation because he was from the Bronx.

I don't have a problem with the way Hodge plays, he shows a lot of emotion and plays with intensity whcih is fine by me. If it wasn't your team losing when he scored that 3 point play at the end I doubt you'd have much of a problem with his excitement. But I would hate the guy too if he did the same to MD and reacted that way.

BTW, I hope your not referring to the last play as a BS blocking foul.

The last one I thought was a no call but that wasnt one of the bad ones. Earlier in the game there were two awful blocking calls that even Len Elmore (who never says anything negative) said were wrong.

As for Hodge, I dont care who he is playing against or for. Much like I'll forever hate John Lucas for stealing an inbounds pass against Syracuse and shooting it when he was team was up 8 with a second left, I think Hodge has established what kind of player he is with that shhow of nonsense. He hit a shot to basically win a tourney game and all he can do is woof to the crowd and act like it is all about him? Someone better tell him that when he is playing in Europe to watch out for object from the crowd when he acts like that.

Couple of great late games on Thursday. Glad to see WVU move on. I would've liked to have seen Bobby Knight keep going, but you have to root for a team that has a guy named Pittsnogle.

I thought the Arizona-OK St. game was really tough. In my mind both of those teams are good enough to win a national championship -- it's a shame they had to face each other so early.

Couple of great late games on Thursday. Glad to see WVU move on. I would've liked to have seen Bobby Knight keep going, but you have to root for a team that has a guy named Pittsnogle.

I thought the Arizona-OK St. game was really tough. In my mind both of those teams are good enough to win a national championship -- it's a shame they had to face each other so early.

Watching these games is like making ACC basketball the Little Sisters of the Poor. ACC basketball = Tunrerovers equal azzkicking. The Duke and NCst losses were no aberrations. The muscle car Mustang 5.0 will win the fight between the Mercedes or the Caddy. Equate ACC teams to the fancy highend cars to the muscle cars of teams that recruit and rely on winning with lowpost basketball.

The Terps got lowpost in comatose and beat Duke twice. No-one being honest with themselves expected Duke to make it even to the Final Four. To be honest I dont even think an ACC team will make it period. This conference make it further in the tournament from lucky draws and just plain luck. Not because they are playing the best basketball of the season at the time.

Arizona and Ok St play tournament basketball because they prepare for it during their regular season. The ACC dont prepare for anything, but like Maryland hope and pray to get in the NCAA even after getting swepped by Clemson thrice because they believe the hype about the ACC being the best conference in the NCAA. Hogwash.

Crap, the ACC cant stand elbows, and butts in your face when they play each other, so what happens when they play teams that exclusively win from that type of game.

And the Terps Play On.

To be honest I dont even think an ACC team will make it period. This conference make it further in the tournament from lucky draws and just plain luck. Not because they are playing the best basketball of the season at the time.

QUOTE]

Take a look at the Final Four the last 20 years. What conference has had the most Final Four teams and won the most championships? I guess UNC in 1982, NC State in 1983, Virginia in 1984, Duke in 1986,88,89,90,91,92,94,2001,2004, UNC in 1991,93,95,97,98,2000, and tomorrow, Maryland in 2001, 2002, Georgia Tech in 1990, 2004, were just lucky. Come on..I'll agree that last night was a tough night for the conference, but the ACC is and always will be the best conference in the country, period.

Archived