Brian Matusz tonight (3/13/13)

malkusm

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that it's pretty pointless to hide pitchers from AL East opponents, unless it's a guy they've never seen before, which isn't the case. However, if pitching Hammel in minor league games means that Bundy, Gausman, Arrieta, Britton, Matusz, etc are getting starts in real ST games, I know I wouldn't mind as a fan. I'm probably not the average fan though.
I like seeing those guys go as well.

I don't think most folks would complain about seeing those guys. The issue is instead of seeing Hammel then one of the above the fans see one of the above and minor league filler. Someone paid good money yesterday to see Todd Redmond pitch, that just isn't right.

I don't think most folks would complain about seeing those guys. The issue is instead of seeing Hammel then one of the above the fans see one of the above and minor league filler. Someone paid good money yesterday to see Todd Redmond pitch, that just isn't right.

It's spring training. Fans who buy tickets need to understand what they're paying for. Seeing minor league filler is part of the deal.

Oh please. If you like baseball enough to buy Spring Training tickets, you should know what to expect, and if you don't, you shouldn't care because you like baseball enough to buy Spring Training tickets. Save the drama for your llama.

Oh please. If you like baseball enough to buy Spring Training tickets, you should know what to expect, and if you don't, you shouldn't care because you like baseball enough to buy Spring Training tickets. Save the drama for your llama.

Easy for you to say in Baltimore. It is a great deal easier for me to catch a game in Clearwater or Dunedin then it is for me to go to Sarasota, or to the Trop for a regular season game.

Easy for you to say in Baltimore. It is a great deal easier for me to catch a game in Clearwater or Dunedin then it is for me to go to Sarasota, or to the Trop for a regular season game.

I get that, but that doesn't mean that the teams have an obligation to play their major league regulars during spring training just because their fans who live in Florida (or who have traveled to Florida) would like them to. They are there to get their players ready for the season, evaluate guys who are borderline candidates to make the team, and get some other guys some experience, and the fans have to know this.

I get that, but that doesn't mean that the teams have an obligation to play their major league regulars during spring training just because their fans who live in Florida (or who have traveled to Florida) would like them to. They are there to get their players ready for the season, evaluate guys who are borderline candidates to make the team, and get some other guys some experience, and the fans have to know this.

I didn't say it was an obligation. I just don't think there is an actual competitive advantage to be gained by having someone like Hammel pitch against minor leaguers rather then division foes.

I do think that there is some guidance from MLB concerning composition of road teams in ST and that Buck is skirting it.

I love this outing, but four innings and I believe 63 pitches is still in his wheelhouse of effectiveness. We have a long track record of Brian just not being very good after 50 -75 pitches of so. I'm encouraged by his outing, but all he did here is tell me that he can be a shutdown multiple-inning reliever. I still think if all things are equal between him, Arrieta and Britton, he's going to the pen.

I love this outing, but four innings and I believe 63 pitches is still in his wheelhouse of effectiveness. We have a long track record of Brian just not being very good after 50 -75 pitches of so. I'm encouraged by his outing, but all he did here is tell me that he can be a shutdown multiple-inning reliever. I still think if all things are equal between him, Arrieta and Britton, he's going to the pen.

There's really nothing that can happen during ST that will prove whether Matusz is going to be effective as a starter over 6-7 innings. Buck will have to use his best judgment based on what he's seeing.

Yeah...end of the day a couple more performances like this could mean a lot. But Matusz has 10 IP so far in ST. So let's not get too carried away.

Also, Miguel Gonzalez spot might be on notice. I don't think it's completely crazy that BMat and Arrieta could both be in this starting rotation. How crazy would it be if the OD rotation looked like Hammel, Chen, Tillman, BMat, Britton.

How'd that be for the cavalry making an impact?

You think that Gonzalez pitching in minor league games to hide him from AL East opponents means his spot is in jeopardy? I read that differently.

I didn't read it the way you did. I thought he meant that if MG didn't perform then he could find himself without a spot. It's not inconceivable if he totally fell down for the rest of ST. He did get hit around last time even if only giving up one earned.

At the end of the post, though, the rotation here contains one with Britton after the suggestion of Arrieta for the 5th spot and Matusz for Gonzalez' spot. Or vice versa. I mean Britton could be in there, too, but I thought the post was about Matusz and Arrieta. :002_sconfused:

You think that Gonzalez pitching in minor league games to hide him from AL East opponents means his spot is in jeopardy? I read that differently.

Gonzalez is "penciled" in right? I mean there are no guarantees for anyone but Chen/Hammel from my understanding.

Archived