Brian Matusz tonight (3/13/13)

malkusm

"Rick (Adair) was telling me he had 58 strikes and 17 balls. That's good. Almost too good. He threw some really good change-ups later on."

-Buck

That has to pump up Matusz in the confidence department. And it also sounds as if the CH was working.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BRIAN MATUSZ O (vs. PIRATES, 3/24) O [spring Training]

IP:O 4

H:o. 9

R:O. 5

BB:. 1

SO:. 2

Pitches: 67 (46 Strikes, 21 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.26 (Spring Training)

Hopefully that's just a bump in the road, with how well he has been pitching this Spring I imagine he will be able to bounce back from this. It still hurts his shot at the rotation I think.

BRIAN MATUSZ O (vs. PIRATES, 3/24) O [spring Training]

IP:O 4

H:o. 9

R:O. 5

BB:. 1

SO:. 2

Pitches: 67 (46 Strikes, 21 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.26 (Spring Training)

Rough outing for Brian.

Thinking he ends up in the pen and Arrieta is the #5 heading into the season.

Not so much because of one bad outing as it is because of how Arrieta has looked IMO to this point.

None of his secondary pitches really working. Only had his fastball and changeup. Fastball was mostly at 87-88. Changeup in low to mid 80s. Not enough separation. Just a sloppy outing.

Yikes. Hopefully just a dead arm period.

Not what you want to see a week before OD but as long as he is able to bounce back then no harm done. I think this solidifies Arrieta as the #5 starter to start the season but that really doesn't mean a whole lot considering everyone from Matusz to Gausman will be up at some point. Opening Day is one day out of 162 and I'm sure all the pitchers are being reminded of this.

I'm still crossing my fingers that he is not being considered for the pen just yet...

I know some will call this "reactionary", but put him in the pen. He's a very valuable reliever and only a mediocre starter. He needs to be utilized properly to get the maximum value that we can out of him.

I'd rather have a lights out lefty out of the pen than a 5+ era starter who can't go a whole game without getting himself into trouble when a lineup is better geared to hit him because it is loaded with righties.

Face it, he just isn't cut from the right cloth to go 6+ innings every time out.

At least that's my opinion based on what I've seen from him over the years. It's not just this spring training, it's years of performance that have formed this opinion.

I know some will call this "reactionary", but put him in the pen. He's a very valuable reliever and only a mediocre starter. He needs to be utilized properly to get the maximum value that we can out of him.

I'd rather have a lights out lefty out of the pen than a 5+ era starter who can't go a whole game without getting himself into trouble when a lineup is better geared to hit him because it is loaded with righties.

Face it, he just isn't cut from the right cloth to go 6+ innings every time out.

At least that's my opinion based on what I've seen from him over the years. It's not just this spring training, it's years of performance that have formed this opinion.

Agreed on all points. Due to his draft status he'll keep getting every shot at the rotation, though.

The thing is you can't go wrong with at least starting him out in the 'pen. It's the path of least resistance at this point.

Yeah, I'd prefer to see him in the pen. I just find it frustrating that a guy with his stuff and can barely go 6 innings gets shot after shot at the rotation, strictly based off of where he was drafted. If his name were Bergesen he'd be long gone.

Yeah, I'd prefer to see him in the pen. I just find it frustrating that a guy with his stuff and can barely go 6 innings gets shot after shot at the rotation, strictly based off of where he was drafted. If his name were Bergesen he'd be long gone.

We may have seen his last chance as a starter, especially if he has sustained success out of the pen this year.

Right because Jake Arrieta (5th round) isn't getting every shot at the rotation.

Uh, Jake Arrieta signed for $1.1 million. He is not your typical 5th round pick. By 2012 draft slot value, that would put him around the 47th pick, or in the middle of the sandwich round between the first and second round.

Archived