Brian Matusz tonight (3/13/13)

malkusm

Agreed. Another performance like last time out, and it will hard not to say he's at the top of the list. A bad peformance and Britton is in prime position to take the lead next time out.

BTW, after Britton's last peformance, he talked about things other than results. It sounded like Buck talking. So, in the back of my mind, even great results by Matusz don't necesarily put him ahead of Britton or anyone else.

I think Matusz has the burden of proof here. Buck said yesterday that spring results won't be the only factor in the decision:

"We've got some private thoughts about where it is right now, but we've got a lot more looks. But it's not just going to be a purely spring training statistical evaluation."

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/03/orioles-option-hoes-after-game-in-clearwater.html

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW, after Britton's last peformance, he talked about things other than results. It sounded like Buck talking. So, in the back of my mind, even great results by Matusz don't necesarily put him ahead of Britton or anyone else.

That was a great read about Britton. You're right - that was pure Buck-speak, and it was great to hear that kind of maturity from one of the Calvary. They really seem to all have a much clearer vision this year in camp, working on things that will make them better throughout the season.

Matusz has the X-factor working for him though - McFarland. If Matusz can win the 5th starters spot then the O's can keep McFarland. I think that has as much bearing on what's going to happen as anything. If Matusz and McFarland can 'present themselves well' - as well as the other candidates, then I think we start Brian and keep McFarland.

Without a trade, I think that's right. However, if Buck's love affair with McFarland continues, I could see Ayala or Hunter moved to open up a spot in the bullpen even if Matusz is in the bullpen.

I suppose that could happen, and I'm definitely warming to the idea of an Ayala trade. However, Buck has also said a number of times that having more lefties in the rotation lessens the need for lefties in the bullpen. If Britton wins the 5th spot then carrying three lefties in the pen might be suboptimal in Buck's eyes.

Matusz and Patton in the pen would lessen the need for another lefty in the pen. It all comes down to how much Buck and DD like McFarland and how much they want to keep him. You would still have 3 righthanded pitchers in the rotation so it's not a big deal whether your long man is RH or LH.

I wonder in that case if McFarland continued to progress they would consider trading Patton. A LHRP who can get out both RH and LHB is a valuable commodity.

Agreed. Another performance like last time out, and it will hard not to say he's [Matusz] at the top of the list.

One of the things I like most about this spring is that you can say the same thing every time one of Matusz, Arrieta, Britton or even Johnson pitches. They have all done well and shown that they can be viable candidates for the back end of the rotation. The rotations in Norfolk and Bowie will be stacked, no matter who wins that last spot in Baltimore.

I hope not. Again, I think you can "hide" McFarland as the long man. His value, as far as I'm concerned, would be a future rotation candidate. I don't view him as a lefty setup guy.

Oh, I agree. Besides I like Patton for our team, but if having too many lefties in the pen is the problem I wonder who becomes expendable. If still prefer Ayala to be dealt if there is a surplus and McFarland is on the roster.

Matusz threw 58 of 75 pitches for strikes today.

Also worth noting: Boston's lineup featured 7 right-handed batters: Victorino, Pedroia, Napoli, Saltalamacchia, Middlebrooks, Gomes, Iglesias.

This shouldn't be just a side note! Brian's problems were always rh hitters and the line he put up today looks like he's turned the corner. Had a little trouble at first, but 7 baser runners in 5 innings is very encouraging against this lineup. Not Murderer's Row by any means, but solid. The 5th spot competition is the O's version of March Madness. On practically any other team these guys would have earned a starting spot right now. Such a nice problem to have- I'm still not used to it.

Matusz threw 58 of 75 pitches for strikes today.

Also worth noting: Boston's lineup featured 7 right-handed batters: Victorino, Pedroia, Napoli, Saltalamacchia, Middlebrooks, Gomes, Iglesias.

One of his biggest challenges is using his CH effectively to RHB hitters. If he can do that to illicit outs, they don't have to be strike outs, but he has to make effective use of that pitch. I'm interested to see a breakdown of what he threw and when he threw it today.

Archived