Brian Matusz tonight (3/13/13)

malkusm

Uh, Jake Arrieta signed for $1.1 million. He is not your typical 5th round pick. By 2012 draft slot value, that would put him around the 47th pick, or in the middle of the sandwich round between the first and second round.

And Cameron Coffey signed a 990K deal and was released last week.

Pretty sure once you get to the MLB level draft order doesn't mean much.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then tell me why someone who can barely crack 90 and has spotty command keeps getting shot after shot at the rotation?

Same reason Jake with his spotty command and tendency to fall apart with men on base keeps getting shots.

1- They have shown that they can get the job done.

2- Starters have a lot more value then relievers.

Same reason Jake with his spotty command and tendency to fall apart with men on base keeps getting shots.

1- They have shown that they can get the job done.

2- Starters have a lot more value then relievers.

1. Sometimes

2. True. But not when they keep getting knocked out of the rotation and back down to AAA.

1. Sometimes

2. True. But not when they keep getting knocked out of the rotation and back down to AAA.

Not arguing those points just saying I don't think Matusz is getting more chances then Arrieta is. It is do or die for both of them this year with Bundy and Gausman closing in on the rotation.

Fine, but that isn't the point you were making.

Sure it is, I said that draft order isn't a factor and used Jake as an example. You countered with Jake's signing bonus, I countered with Coffey being released even though his signing bonus was almost as high as Jake's.

If:

1- First round selections get preferential treatment

and

2- Large signing bonus = First round selection

Then Coffey should have received preferential treatment.

Sure it is, I said that draft order isn't a factor and used Jake as an example. You countered with Jake's signing bonus, I countered with Coffey being released even though his signing bonus was almost as high as Jake's.

If:

1- First round selections get preferential treatment

and

2- Large signing bonus = First round selection

Then Coffey should have received preferential treatment.

I think it is reasonable to add a third factor in there:

3) Has had success at the minor league level.

Do you really not think draft status and large signing bonuses have any impact on personnel decisions once players are signed?

I think it is reasonable to add a third factor in there:

3) Has had success at the minor league level.

Do you really not think draft status and large signing bonuses have any impact on personnel decisions once players are signed?

I think the impact is minimal once the player reaches the higher minors and is gone at the MLB level. Especially with a case like the O's where the GM and Scouting director that picked Matusz is gone.

I think the impact is minimal once the player reaches the higher minors and is gone at the MLB level. Especially with a case like the O's where the GM and Scouting director that picked Matusz is gone.

So Tim Beckham belongs on a 40-man roster based on merit? If Tim Beckham weren't the first pick in the draft he wouldn't be on the Rays 40-man roster. If he wasn't the first pick in the draft, the Rays would have exposed him to the Rule 5 draft and no team would have taken him, because he has a career OPS of .709 and two PED suspensions.

I know, you were complaining about Matusz getting a lot of chances because of his draft status so I brought up Arrieta who has had plenty of chances of his own despite being a fifth round pick.

Well, relatively speaking, Arrieta is a high round pick. It's not like he was picked in the 34th round.

So Tim Beckham belongs on a 40-man roster based on merit? If Tim Beckham weren't the first pick in the draft he wouldn't be on the Rays 40-man roster. If he wasn't the first pick in the draft, the Rays would have exposed him to the Rule 5 draft and no team would have taken him, because he has a career OPS of .709 and two PED suspensions.

Bingo.

And Tim Beckham is on the Rays 40 man...wow. I wouldn't take that dude for free.

I will grant you a point on Beckham although I do not know if they had anyone of worth that they had to expose to make room for him. I guess that would fall under "minimal" if no one of value was exposed for him and not minimal if they lost somebody decent for Beckham.

Archived