HHP: Tracking the Fifth Starter Competition

Frobby

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing to consider: Buck is also keeping his options open in case Tilman starts the year on the DL. Buck loves layered contingency plans (which is one thing I really like about him).
I n keeping with this, listening to Fred and Joe during the game, Joe just said in talking with Buck he got the idea Buck was happy with 3 of the first 4 SP. He speculated that the jury might be out on Tillman, because of the abdominal issue. Could be both Matusz and Jake to start the season.....:scratchchinhmm:

Roch Says:

Steve Johnson was supposed to start Wednesday night against the New York Yankees in Sarasota, but he's being pushed back to Thursday night against the Tampa Bay Rays because of some discomfort in his lower back. Jair Jurrjens has been moved up to Wednesday.

If Matusz makes the rotation, and McFarland & Arrieta both contintue to pitch well, who do you think they give the last bullpen spot to, Arrieta or McFarland?

If I had to guess, I would say McFarland, for two reasons: his Rule 5 status, and the sense I have that they view Jake first and foremost as a starter. McFarland to the pen, and Jake to Norfolk to start the season? Now, Matusz just had a bad outing... so who knows if that changes this whole equation or not. What an interesting contest for that fifth spot.

One thing to consider: Buck is also keeping his options open in case Tilman starts the year on the DL. Buck loves layered contingency plans (which is one thing I really like about him).

This is still a very real option. Apparently they've already talked with Tillman about that possibility.

This is still a very real option. Apparently they've already talked with Tillman about that possibility.

That would be a really bad break for Chris. Dang. It's conceivable that his replacement pitches well enough to keep him out of the rotation - at least for a period of time. I guess it would all depend on which DL he went to, etc. But I hope they don't have to do that.

That would be a really bad break for Chris. Dang. It's conceivable that his replacement pitches well enough to keep him out of the rotation - at least for a period of time. I guess it would all depend on which DL he went to, etc. But I hope they don't have to do that.

It would likely be be back dated and he wouldn't be out that long. He doesn't have any options left so they can't send him down.

It would likely be be back dated and he wouldn't be out that long. He doesn't have any options left so they can't send him down.

They will only do that if they want a bit longer to stretch Chris out and keep T.J. for another week. Chris is not hurt. Steve Johnson has something, but it appears to be not a big deal. I am told he is starting in Norfolk.

They will only do that if they want a bit longer to stretch Chris out and keep T.J. for another week. Chris is not hurt. Steve Johnson has something, but it appears to be not a big deal. I am told he is starting in Norfolk.

I didn't think he was which is why I found the tweet from Ghiroli(it was referenced in the Game Thread) this morning curious. There's really no reason to have him on the DL. And it screws up my prediction of 21 wins for him if he doesn't start the season on time.

He should be stretched out to six innings before ST is over, right?

Tillman is out of options so he has to be on the team or on the DL.

Tillman is out of options so he has to be on the team or on the DL.

They could put him on the DL without back dating it and then send him for a rehab assignment couldnt they? That would have him miss 2 or 3 starts giving Buck 2 or 3 more looks at everyone else and make a decision. I dont know if holding possibly your best guy back is a good idea, but if he is a bit sore or not quite ready? Just throwing stuff out there.

Does anyone think Jake is not named the 5th starter at this point?

I think he will be. I also think he will destroy the Twins in his first start. I think he will be declared a success and a potential ace at that point. I think he will break down and show the same problems that he did last year eventually.

Archived