HHP: Tracking the Fifth Starter Competition

Frobby

First sign of who's really ahead in the 5th starter competition. Brian Matusz to start Sundy in a minor league game. If he was going to the bullpen they wouldn't keep stretching him out. If he was still competing for the 5th spot, it would be odd not to pitch him against ML players this late in the spring. I'm sure many will disagree and I could be very wrong, but Brian Matusz is your 5th starter.

Well, now Matusz is pitching in the major league game tomorrow. So much for that theory.

I really can't guess what Buck's going to do.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he was still competing for the 5th spot, it would be odd not to pitch him against ML players this late in the spring.

I'll go back to "he's still competing". Really no idea what Buck and DD are thinking. Could be Arrieta. Could be Matusz. I wouldn't completely rule out Jurrjens. One thing I'm 99.9% sure of, is that Matusz makes the team no matter who the 5th is. Wildcard thinks there's a reaonable chance he goes to the minors.

Buck has nearly stated as much.

Rule 5 pick T.J. McFarland will make his first start of the spring on Monday against the Boston Red Sox at Ed Smith Stadium.

Odds probably are the McFarland has his problems vs major league hitters. If Boston brings major league hitters. But if McFarland does well on Monday, things get real interesting real fast.

My guess is that McFarland is not auditioning for a starting role but is just starting so Buck can see him vs major league hitters to determine if he can hold down a reliever spot.

One of Buck's main themes right now is that if a player gets sent out it does mean that player will stay down there long. He is touting that the O's have a 75 player organization to pick from for the major league roster. That includes all the players at Norfolk and Bowie. That makes it a little easier to send players out.

Of course the way Buck likes to hide his starters from the AL East that may be a bad sign.

Buck's actually trying to hide his starters from teams we're facing early in the year. While we are facing the Red Sox in the 3rd series of the year, the 5th starter won't be pitching.

That being said...I give McFarland about 0% chance of making the rotation.

If he was still competing for the 5th spot, it would be odd not to pitch him against ML players this late in the spring.

I'll go back to "he's still competing". Really no idea what Buck and DD are thinking. Could be Arrieta. Could be Matusz. I wouldn't completely rule out Jurrjens. One thing I'm 99.9% sure of, is that Matusz makes the team no matter who the 5th is. Wildcard thinks there's a reaonable chance he goes to the minors.

I think there's about a 1% chance of Matusz going to the minors. I have a weird feeling he'll be the fifth starter. To me, anyway, it would come down to comparing his WHIP with Arrieta's. Jake is just walking too many guys, still, although he has been very impressive. I wonder if Jake could start the year in the pen, if he doesn't grab the fifth starter's spot. It seems to me he has at least earned a spot on the roster.

If Matusz makes the rotation, and McFarland & Arrieta both contintue to pitch well, who do you think they give the last bullpen spot to, Arrieta or McFarland?

Gotta wonder what Cleveland would be looking for if we decided to try to trade for McFarland.

As pointed out before, McFarland would have to pass through waivers before we could trade for his rights so it isn't a slam dunk he could be retained.

I didn't see that post. Changes everything, because right now he wouldn't pass through.

Archived