HHP: Tracking the Fifth Starter Competition

Frobby

If I had the choice between 8 baserunners, including 2 walks, with 9 striketous in 6 IP, YES, I would prefer 2 baserunners, no walks, and just 3 strikeouts in 5 IP. I like strikeouts as much as the next guy but it's about run prevention. Higher strikeout totals isn't always better.

Obviously, you didn't like my post or earlier posts. Maybe you could try making a counterpoint instead of just the wisecrack, not that a good wisecrack is so bad.

I'll make one. Jurrjens, while facing a 9.2 QualOpp which is very good, has had an atrocious walk rate. 6.2 per 9 innings. No wise crack necessary.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a counterpoint against what? We were talking about Arrieta's performance last night verses what Jurrjens did today. It's not a wisecrack or a counterpoint. It's irrelevant to what was being discussed. Anyone can see that Jurrjens has progressed quite a bit from his first two appearances to his last two appearances.

You were the one making the case for him based on ONE performance when he didn't walk anyone. I thought I'd remind you everybody how bad he's been when it comes to walks. You're quick to point out Arrieta's shortcomings, lets keep it consistent.

..."0 walks in 5 innings looks even better to me."And...."he certainly seems to be rounding into form". Why? Based on one performance? You're ready to find anything wrong with Arrieta and somehow Jurrjens strikes out Longoria once and doesn't walk anyone in one outing and he's turned a corner? He faced a MiL lineup for the most part, but I'm sure he's ready now.

If you knew his walk totals then why post todays with the comment, "0 walks is better, blah, blah, blah...." and use that in comparison to Arrieta who is competing for the 5th spot? Whatever, man. You are already on record as saying your no fan of Jake's, usually you don't let it color your judgement.

Right, but Weams made a cryptic comment about the roster spot having to do with Jurrjens. Sometimes I can't tell when Weams is just thinking out loud and when he actually knows something. A lot of times he types as though he knows something that the rest of us don't.

I don't know anything. Sorry for being cryptic.

I've been multitasking.

Right, but Weams made a cryptic comment about the roster spot having to do with Jurrjens. Sometimes I can't tell when Weams is just thinking out loud and when he actually knows something. A lot of times he types as though he knows something that the rest of us don't.

Sorry I come off that way. My only discussion with ANYONE that would know was with Dan Duquette weeks ago and that was with DocShorebird and Jurrjens never came up.

Jair Jurrjens says "It ain't over til it's over". On a day where Steve Johnson did well but had a bad lapse in the 3rd inning, Jurrjens finished up in pretty dominating fashion with 5 IP just 2 hits and no walks, with 3 strikeouts including Evan Longoria. 6 groundouts and 3 flyouts.
I won'tcall it inaccurate, but it is opinion. Jurrjens faced Longoria once, Escobar once, and Loney once. You can call those three ML hitters. Other than that, I'm not impressed.

I don't know about the velocity but with pinpoint control, which he showed in his last outing, the 88-90 that he also showed in his last outing would probably be enough.

Says who? You? How long til he faces a regular lineup and pitching with mirrors isn't cutting it with the 88-90 mph FB?

As great as Jake's 9 K's looked on the stat sheet last night, 0 walks in 5 IP looks even better to me. He has a lot to prove but he certainly seems to be rounding into form. The question is, is it too late, or does he still have time to win the 5th spot?

I'll give you the last one. He has looked better, but just as you are skeptical of Jake I'm skeptical of a guy who's knee is bone on bone and isn't the same pitcher he was when he pitched for the Braves as an AS.

Here's what Tony said about him on 3/17, not that long ago:

"Jurrjens looked ok today, but with Arrieta, Britton, and Johnson all pitching well, a few good innings is not going overcome a year and half of crappiness. He's a 86-88 MPH fastball-changeup guy. He's the exact kind of guy we use to put in our rotation while we waited for the other shoe to drop. I think he'll need to show some consistency at Norfolk for a month or so before I get too excited over him."

LOL. You wouldn't call it inaccurate but you would call it an opinion? You then go on to express your opinion and repeat Tony's. How about this one?

You left out this one, "We've got to make some decisions where he's concerned toward the end of the month."

So, at the end of the month what do you think Buck will do with him?

Apparently you feel you've settled something, so good for you. You seem to have trouble staying on subject.

Of course, you were the one who suggested he needed biochemical analysis and time at Norfolk to rediscover his prior mechanics. I suggested I wouldn't be surprised if he were able to this during ST, which it certainly looks like he's doing a good job of.

Actually, I was being sarcastic. I certainly did not think we settled anything. Check the calibration on your meter, and thanks for playing.

And as far as biomechanical analysis, that's right I did. And I stand by it. By the way, do you have any evidence that it hasn't already been done and adjustments been made or do you have some pipeline to the inner workings of all things Jair Jurrjens?

Archived