Jim Johnson Today, 2013

OFFNY

Motivation? You think he needs motivation? He's pitched in 44 games already. That puts him on track for 80 appearances this season. Last season he appeared in 71. What he needs is for the starting pitching and the offense to provide more wins that aren't save situations, so he can doesn't get fried.

Yeah, I think he needs some motivation. He needs something to get his act together. If he's gonna pitch he needs something to get it done.

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although he ended up getting the save, specifically in the old JJ fashion, Buck still goes with his guy. I love Buck, but this is borderline insulting. I know it's an "if", but if JJ blows it today, is that enough for the skipper to pull the plug? Regardless, great outing JJ! Keep it up bud.[/quote)

I agree, there is no reason to trust JJ right now

JJ's number of saves wasnt the issue obviously. It was the # of blown saves. The fact that he is gonna stay home should tell all of his defenders who like to spread the blame on the rest of the team something.

Hopefully he uses this as motivation and continues to pitch like he did today. We havent seen enough of what he did today. We've seen the blown saves and a lot of shaky saves. If he continues to pitch like he did today it will eventually build up our confidence in him, but it will take a while since we have all those blown saves etched in memory.

Who is defending him? Pretty much everyone has given up on him after the last BS.

Didn't hurt that he was pitching to Overbay, Cruz and Nunez, but he went right after the hitters and overpowered them.

Maybe that's why Buck decided to go with him. Perhaps Hunter gets the call if that is the top of the order. Guess we'll never know.....:scratchchinhmm: :D

JJ's number of saves wasnt the issue obviously. It was the # of blown saves. The fact that he is gonna stay home should tell all of his defenders who like to spread the blame on the rest of the team something.

Hopefully he uses this as motivation and continues to pitch like he did today. We havent seen enough of what he did today. We've seen the blown saves and a lot of shaky saves. If he continues to pitch like he did today it will eventually build up our confidence in him, but it will take a while since we have all those blown saves etched in memory.

You can't understand the number of blown saves until you know the number of opportunities. Johnson is now 30 for 36, which is not good but it is not terrible either. He has converted 83 percent of his save opportunities. For a point of comparison, in his career, Trevor Hoffman converted 89 percent of his chances.

Lee Smith, in his All-Star season for the Orioles in 1994, was 33 for 39, which is what Johnson will be if he converts his next three.

Johnson has not been good, but he also hasn't been the unqualified disaster people are making him out to be. Last year everyone was overrating him, now the opposite has occurred.

Maybe that's why Buck decided to go with him. Perhaps Hunter gets the call if that is the top of the order. Guess we'll never know.....:scratchchinhmm: :D

I don't think so. Buck has made his choice for now and unless it's a matter of rest we're going to see Johnson in most of these opportunities.

You can't understand the number of blown saves until you know the number of opportunities. Johnson is now 30 for 36, which is not good but it is not terrible either. He has converted 83 percent of his save opportunities. For a point of comparison, in his career, Trevor Hoffman converted 89 percent of his chances.

Lee Smith, in his All-Star season for the Orioles in 1994, was 33 for 39, which is what Johnson will be if he converts his next three.

Johnson has not been good, but he also hasn't been the unqualified disaster people are making him out to be. Last year everyone was overrating him, now the opposite has occurred.[/quote

Nice post. Thanks for adding perspective to a thread that sorely needs it. It was also interesting that Rivera blew the save and lost the game. Johnson comes in and completely shuts the door. Johnson has been hot and cold this season. Hopefully, he'll ride a hot streak into the All Star break.

Johnson has not been good, but he also hasn't been the unqualified disaster people are making him out to be. Last year everyone was overrating him, now the opposite has occurred.

Excellent post Craw.

The closer role has drastically changed over the years an expectations are much higher. What other contending team would still have JJ closing games?

The closer role has drastically changed over the years an expectations are much higher. What other contending team would still have JJ closing games?

Just about all of them, unless they had somebody else waiting in the wings.

And how much has the closer role changed, exactly? I'm not sure there's a better closer in baseball today than Craig Kimbrel, and he's successfully converted 89 percent of his chances. Two years ago, when he won the rookie of the year award, he converted 85 percent. I think in general a good closer is going to blow about 13 or 14 percent of his chances. A great closer will blow maybe less than 10 percent. Johnson has had a mediocre year, obviously. But 31 out of 37 is not that bad. People keep acting like every one of his blown saves is his fault. But even a good closer, if given 37 save opportunities, would blow about 3 or 4.

Bailey has five blown saves for the Red Sox and he was first removed after his third on June 20th. They now have gone to using Koji Uehara.

How many blown for Koji since he took over? I can't look it up until I get home.

Archived