Opportunity knocks for Ryan Flaherty

postal

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You gotta love the Flaherty is turning it around. I mean, the numbers for the season are still horrible/embarrassing. But he's improving. And his defense has been there since day 1. Is he turning into a 'nugget'?

Roberts batting leadoff first game back, book it.

Nah, Buck likes his McLouth/Markakis leadoff tandem and Roberts was batting 9th earlier in the year. I see Roberts batting 9th, DHing initially. I think Ishikawa is cut. Flaherty is hot and he's our best defensive second baseman, something that holds a lot of weight with Buck.

You gotta love the Flaherty is turning it around. I mean, the numbers for the season are still horrible/embarrassing. But he's improving. And his defense has been there since day 1. Is he turning into a 'nugget'?

He's been an apple in Buck's eye since spring training LAST year. That's why he made it through all last season without being cut.

He's been an apple in Buck's eye since spring training LAST year. That's why he made it through all last season without being cut.

Although both Buck and Duquette obviously see a lot of value in Flaherty, let's not exaggerate. Last year, they acquired Quintanilla mid-season and started him because Flaherty wasn't doing well enough, even though he had recently clubbed two home runs. During the off-season, they acquired Casilla because neither Andino nor Flaherty were deemed good enough replacements for Roberts should he prove unable to play. This season, the experiment with Navarro was an emergency response to disappointment in Flaherty's hitting. Most recently, Flaherty was sat down for two games in the midst of his hottest hitting streak ever.

They've adhered to their conviction that Flaherty has the potential to be an important, versatile, and inexpensive player for the O's; it doesn't mean they've been blind to his problems--that he's a mere "apple" in their eyes--and the greater objectives and balance of the team.

Although both Buck and Duquette obviously see a lot of value in Flaherty, let's not exaggerate. Last year, they acquired Quintanilla mid-season and started him because Flaherty wasn't doing well enough, even though he had recently clubbed two home runs. During the off-season, they acquired Casilla because neither Andino nor Flaherty were deemed good enough replacements for Roberts should he prove unable to play. This season, the experiment with Navarro was an emergency response to disappointment in Flaherty's hitting. Most recently, Flaherty was sat down for two games in the midst of his hottest hitting streak ever.

They've adhered to their conviction that Flaherty has the potential to be an important, versatile, and inexpensive player for the O's; it doesn't mean they've been blind to his problems--that he's a mere "apple" in their eyes--and the greater objectives and balance of the team.

Nice post. I agree with completely with this outlook. Consider my slight exaggeration retracted and my characterization re-aligned. ;)

When Buck needed a replacement for Manny he went to Flash. When he needed a late inning defensive upgrade at 2B, he went with Flash over Casill,. When he sat Hardy when we were out of it the other day, he went with Flash at SS. If Ishikakawa goes and they need someone to fill in for Davis it will be Flash. That's why they will keep him on the roster IMO.

Flaherty

Which begs the question of what, in fact, cd be considered flasherty about him? I think the consistency and quickness with which he turns the DP and robs base hits over his head or up the middle has earned him the nickname!

Archived