Opportunity knocks for Ryan Flaherty

postal

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ehh, I think you were the one that deflected the relevance woba/wRC+ and said OPS was good enough metric as it really doesn't matter unless you have some high value and/or absurd extreme. I'm going to agree with you on that point and that moving around 20 points of a 700 OPS is a fairly irrelevant argument.

Flaherty has about 340 ML plate appearances to date. I'm aware of his age and Mil track record. I think it's a bit early to define him. I think he has potential as a regular second baseman with 2-3 WAR upside.

Yup, this is my stance to a tee.

(must spread rep)

Regardless, I don't really see what Ryan has done to earn so much disdain and ridicule from the fans. He might not become a 2-3 WAR 2B, he might just be replacement level or slightly above, but there's still some value in that and that makes him a decent player, whereas he's treated as a grand joke on here.

Perhaps it's because probably 95% of the board called for Ryan to be released at some point last season, and we know how people like to be able to say...

I really hope Buck doesn't just roll out the red carpet for Roberts at 2B. Flaherty has earned more playing time. Let Roberts DH some.
Flaherty is making that harder for him to do as each game passes.

He is 10-for-22 with 3 home runs and a walk in his last 6 games for a batting average of .454, and an on-base-percentage of .478.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/30728/ryan-flaherty

I think RF might be making it easier for Buck to do what Scrat1 suggested. That is, just make Roberts the DH.

He did come pretty close to a 3-run homer tonight (at least it sounded that way based on Manfra's call which made it sound like a no doubter off the bat :)). Then in the bottom of the 8th (I saw this one) he scorched a ball and Elliot Johnson made a great play.

Hopefully he is starting to turn a corner.

At the end of ST or at least some time before Roberts went down, I made a comment in some thread that I thought Flaherty would take the starting job if/when Roberts got hurt and not relinquish it. Well, he certainly hasn't done anything close to that, although his defensive contributions can't be over looked. My next guess is that he would start hitting just before Roberts came back from the DL. Now it looks like Roberts isn't anywhere close to returning and Flaherty is going to get more time to try and show his worth offensively.

Again, hopefully he is starting to turn a corner. That being said if DD and Buck see fit to send Ryan down and call up Navarro, so be it.

Your idea about Urrutia eventually coming in and taking Dickerson's spot is intriguing. I love how he is mashing at Bowie. I don't want to get tooooo excited but, perhaps, if Betemit proves unable to overcome his knee injury maybe Urrutia becomes the LH DH?

Kinda douchey to quote myself, I know :D... However, I think Flaherty keeps his spot when Roberts comes back this weekend and that Ishikawa is sent packing. We'll see...

Flaherty the new DH? Roberts the new DH to keep him healthier?

Interesting decisions ahead...

It's not up to me, but considering how good Flaherty has been on defense this season, it would seem like a no-brainer to keep him there and have Roberts DH, especially since Roberts has been so injury-prone over the last few years ........ unless Showalter feels compelled to insert Roberts at 2B, regardless of any of the surrounding circumstances.

It's not up to me, but considering how good Flaherty has been on defense this season, it would seem like a no-brainer to keep him there and have Roberts DH, especially since Roberts has been so injury-prone over the last few years ........ unless Showalter feels compelled to insert Roberts at 2B, regardless of any of the surrounding circumstances.

Exactly. But I can't get past the feeling that Showalter probably won't DH Roberts. We'll see

Archived