Opportunity knocks for Ryan Flaherty

postal

The injuries to Wilson Betemit and Brian Roberts have effectively removed both obstacles to increased playing time for Ryan Flaherty.

No disrespect intended, but talk about a golden opportunity for Ryan.

Let's hope the kid can take advantage.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The injuries to Wilson Betemit and Brian Roberts have effectively removed both obstacles to increased playing time for Ryan Flaherty.

No disrespect intended, but talk about a golden opportunity for Ryan.

Let's hope the kid can take advantage.

Well that bases loaded failure did not help his cause very much. A very minor league at bat there.

The fact that Buck just removed Flaherty for Casilla with two out, two on and a RHP on the mounds speaks volumes.

But weren't folks saying that Flaherty could be the DH with Meat hurt? No way folks could have put too much weight into a hot streak last fall right?

Watching the game today I am more worried about his range then anything else. He might make a decent third baseman but he won't stick at second

I've been saying this all along, but if doesn't learn how to adjust to off speed pitches he won't have much of a shelf life in the bigs.

The fact that Buck just removed Flaherty for Casilla with two out, two on and a RHP on the mounds speaks volumes.

I think people are going to keep a real close eye on Schoop during the next couple weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

Why is Flaherty still with the big league club? He's not a rule 5 anymore and there's no way he deserves to be here. Send him to AAA or AA and let him get consistent AB's and let's see if he can snap out of his funk.

I actually believe he has potential, but right now we could use his spot and get some more production.

I am actually happy with his defense. He's made some notable plays at 2B including scooping a Wieter's throw to second to get a runner stealing and ranging to both sides to get balls. He also turns the dp well getting rid of the ball quickly and has an above average arm for 2B. He has yet to make an error this year.

He really needs to make an adjustment at the plate, though. He looks awful on any off speed pitches and lately he doesn't hit the FB when he rarely gets one in an AB.

I'm all for giving a guy a good, long sampling of at bats to prove himself. But it's not too long before Flaherty is going to force the Orioles' hand. He now has 230 MLB plate appearances and he's hitting .191 with a .570 OPS. His AAA numbers include a sub-300 OBP. His projections from Zips, Steamer, PECOTA, etc are all very poor. At some point stats and results have to trump scouts.

I think Navarro has a better resume and would be the logical replacement.

Archived