Nats drew strong weeknight crowds this week

Frobby

Over 25,000 on each of Wednesday and Thursday. Last year the Nats drew 14-18,000 in their first four weekday home games. It's not totally apples to apples because this year's games were nos. 2-3 of the year, and last year they didn't have a weekday home game (excluding a Thursday Opening Day) until Game 11 after opening the season with six road games. Still, 25,000+ on April weeknights is a strong showing and bodes well for a significant attendance bump from last year's 2.37 mm (which was up 430,000 from 2011).

It will be interesting to see how the Orioles stack up.

Fans like winning.

I was there on Wednesday, and by the midway point of the game I'd say the figure was around that. There were a lot of empty seats though, so 25,000 seems a slight stretch to me. All told I was impressed that people came out because it was cold, and it only got colder. The crowd itself seemed very weak and unenthusiastic to me, which probably was influenced by the weather, playing the Marlins, and the season having just started, but that's just my take on it.

The Nats fever is alive down here. Winning, good ownership and a young core are the main reasons.

The Orioles have 2 of of 3 of those.

I also think the superior public transportation helps too, especially for those in the suburbs, but I am more familiar with DC metro/buses then B-more light rail

Archived