2013 ERA: 3.89

PITCHES BY INNING

13 (91 Strikes, 41 Balls)

12 (91 Strikes, 31 Balls)

36 (18 Strikes, 18 Balls)

71 (61 Strikes, 11 Balls)

13 (81 Strikes, 51 Balls)

21 (14 Strikes, 71 Balls) *

* Tillman retired 1 batter before departing in the 6th inning.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHRIS TILLMAN O (vs. MARINER, 8/02)

IP:. 5.33

H:o 8

R:O 6

BB: 3

SO: 5

Pitches: 102 (64 Strikes, 38 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.89

PITCHES BY INNING

13 (91 Strikes, 41 Balls)

12 (91 Strikes, 31 Balls)

36 (18 Strikes, 18 Balls)

71 (61 Strikes, 11 Balls)

13 (81 Strikes, 51 Balls)

21 (14 Strikes, 71 Balls) *

* Tillman retired 1 batter before departing in the 6th inning.

And yet he is still most likely getting Win #14.

Definitely not one of Tillman's best outings. He'd been on such a roll you knew he was due for one eventually, and that wasn't even as bad as he's done in the past. Didn't see the 3rd when it happened, but it very clearly ruined his night. That was an extreme pitch per inning even for Tillman. Disappointed in the multiple homers allowed, but Tillman gives them up and everyone knows it, and Seattle can mash. It's the one thing they can do offensively. Not a good start, not even a quality start, but he got the win. Take it and move on to the next one out west.

CHRIS TILLMAN O (vs. GIANTS, 8/09)

IP:. 8

H:o 4

R:O 1

BB: 1

SO: 9

Pitches: 112 (80 Strikes, 32 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.73

PITCHES BY INNING

15 (11 Strikes, 4 Balls)

23 (16 Strikes, 7 Balls)

11 (81 Strikes, 3 Balls)

71 (71 Strikes, 0 Balls)

14 (91 strikes, 5 Balls)

21 (14 Strikes, 7 Balls)

11 (81 Strikes, 3 Balls)

10 (71 Strikes, 3 Balls)

I know I'm entirely preaching to the choir but does this highlight the absurdity of the win statistic or what.

Two Chris Tillmans in parallel universes. Each one tosses 8 innings, K's 9, and allows one run. In one universe, Jim Johnson gets a save and Tillman gets a win. In this universe, Johnson blows the save and Tillman doesn't get a win.

How can people think about that and put any kind of stock in wins.

Well, just compare it to his last start Barnaby:

5.33 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 3 BB, 5 K, and a win

8.00 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 9 K and a no decision

Yeah, exactly. There you go.

I haven't posted this in the "can Tillman win 20 games" threads because it's a little Buzzkillington of me but who cares about wins.

I was at the game the Rangers scored 30 runs. If their starting pitcher was Allan Travers he could have won.

Wins should really be a team stat.

Oh wait... team W-L record.

Um, well what I mean is if the starting rotation has a lot of wins then the team has a lot of wins. And that's good.

I was at the game the Rangers scored 30 runs. If their starting pitcher was Allan Travers he could have won.

Ouch. Feel bad for ya. Did you stick around? What did you do? That was a long game.

Wins should really be a team stat.

Oh wait... team W-L record.

Um, well what I mean is if the starting rotation has a lot of wins then the team has a lot of wins. And that's good.

Ouch. Feel bad for ya. Did you stick around? What did you do? That was a long game.

It was the first game of a double header.

I know I'm entirely preaching to the choir but does this highlight the absurdity of the win statistic or what.

Two Chris Tillmans in parallel universes. Each one tosses 8 innings, K's 9, and allows one run. In one universe, Jim Johnson gets a save and Tillman gets a win. In this universe, Johnson blows the save and Tillman doesn't get a win.

How can people think about that and put any kind of stock in wins.

Look, it's not perfect but its a data point.

OK so we headed up to the Camden Club in the Warehouse to get lunch after the end of the 5th inning. When we finished lunch (I had a reuben, this is a sit-down restaurant) it was the end of the top of the 6th. Rangers scored 9 runs.

We watched the whole game. We had driven down from New Jersey with the intention of watching a doubleheader. 1st base side, single admission for two games, $20 scalped tickets, ground level. Great deal.

I heckled Travis Metcalf and told whoever was pitching to just throw strikes because he was batting like, .170, no home runs or something. Metcalf promptly hit a grand slam.

When the Rangers scored their 30th run the entire stadium gave them a standing ovation.

We stayed for the 2nd game and left sometime late in the game when we were watching the prototypical Orioles bullpen disintegration. Got home at 3:00 AM. It was fun.

Archived