T.J. McFarland Today, 2013

OFFNY

I haven't seen much mention of McFarland for a rotation spot next year, but it seems to me that is managements intention. Just like the O's of old, bring up a guy, get him experience in the pen, and then put him in the rotation.

At the very least we'll have a potential back end starter and/or long reliever with multiple options next year.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

T.J. McFARLAND O (vs. D-RAYS, 6/08)

IP:. 2.67 *

H:o 4

R:O 1

BB: 1

SO: 2

Pitches: 47 (32 Strikes, 15 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.15

* McFarland entered the game with the bases loaded and one out.

Aside from a relatively lucky hit by Luke Scott, I think he pitched well.

He's given up more hits than when he started out, but I'd still like to see him get stretched out on the side. You made the point in the GT that Buck has used him infrequently, why not get him extra work on the side and see what he can do? I don't expect any miracles, but I'd still like to see him and Matusz get a shot at the rotation.

McFarland doesn't seem very impressive against LHP or with inherited runners of late. Not sure why Buck keeps matching him up in high leverage situations like the past few appearances. His slider seems fairly flat against LHB's and he just looks a lot more comfortable working the 2 seamer against RHB's and with a clean slate of bases.

McFarland doesn't seem very impressive against LHP or with inherited runners of late. Not sure why Buck keeps matching him up in high leverage situations like the past few appearances. His slider seems fairly flat against LHB's and he just looks a lot more comfortable working the 2 seamer against RHB's and with a clean slate of bases.

Which is why if you think of what he would get matchup wise as a starter, a lineup of mostly RHB from the current slate of managers by the numbers, he should do well.

Outstanding performance by TJ. His progression so far this year could turn him into a starter.

I said this in the GT and really believe he would give us a better chance to win than Freddy. They have to consider it after the way he threw today against the top team in the division. Stretching him to five innings shouldn't be a problem, he almost went four today and is very pitch efficient.

T.J. McFARLAND O (vs. RED SOX, 6/15)

IP:. 3.67

H:o 1

R:O 0

BB: 1

SO: 5

Pitches: 43 (29 Strikes, 14 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.60

Outstanding performance by TJ. His progression so far this year could turn him into a starter.
That was something to see today from TJ. I'm getting hopeful that this guy could turn into something long term. His command needs to be good, but he has three ML caliber pitches and very nice movement on all of them. There is no way I give him back at this point.

Not only did he save the rest of the entire bullpen from throwing a single pitch coming off of Thursday's night's 13-inning game, followed by last night's game in which they had to get 9 more outs ...... but Pedro Strop was the only other reliever who even got up to throw a few warm-ups.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, what McFarland did today is one of the many intangibles that often gets forgotten as the long, 162-game marathon season progresses. Showalter has a gazillion decisions to make (long-term AND short-term) in terms of bullpen management throughout the season, and you can be sure that he is grateful for McFarland's 3.67 innings today, in spite of the fact that we lost the game.

Not only did he save the rest of the entire bullpen from throwing a single pitch coming off of Thursday's night's 13-inning game, followed by last night's game in which they had to get 9 more outs ...... but Pedro Strop was the only other reliever who even got up to throw a few warm-ups.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, what McFarland did today is one of the many intangibles that often gets forgotten as the long, 162-game marathon season progresses. Showalter has a gazillion decisions to make (long-term AND short-term) in terms of bullpen management throughout the season, and you can be sure that he is grateful for McFarland's 3.67 innings today, in spite of the fact that we lost the game.

Yes, but he's getting big time hitters out not scrubs. This is a top quality lineup. Now, the only difference is the timing when he came in. Again, he's always been a starter and we can't afford to give away every fifth game. The kid looks good, give him a shot and move Garcia to his role. I'd rather be ahead 5-2 with a shot to win. He's got similar stuff to Saunders and we could have him for a while. We already know he's good in this role. Chen will be ready soon and then you can bring up Britton or Gausman again if he doesn't work out.

Yes, but he's getting big time hitters out not scrubs.

I didn't insinuate that he was.

He kept us in the game by shutting down the Red Sox when Garcia was reeling, rested the rest of the bullpen, and nearly got the win when when Flaherty launched a shot that was (unfortunately) foul.

Regardless of what role Buck decides to have McFarland pitching in from here on out, what he did today was extremely valuable to the entire team (particularly the bullpen.)

I didn't insinuate that he was.

He kept us in the game by shutting down the Red Sox when Garcia was reeling, rested the rest of the bullpen, and nearly got the win when when Flaherty launched a shot that was (unfortunately) foul.

Regardless of what role Buck decides to have McFarland pitching in from here on out, what he did today was extremely valuable to the entire team (particularly the bullpen.)

I know you didn't. I'm just making a point about him being a viable candidate for the rotation.

Archived