T.J. McFarland Today, 2013

OFFNY

McFarland didn't deserve that earned run that the Padres tacked on by the fly ball that our fielders lost in the sun. Oh well.

T.J. McFARLAND O (vs. PADRES, 5/15)

IP:. 2 *

H:o 4

R:O 1

BB: 1

SO: 1

Pitches: 35 (20 Strikes, 15 Balls)

2013 ERA: 2.95

* McFarland entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd base and two outs.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would really like to see him stretched out longer. The Orioles (or at least Dan Duquette) view him as a potential starter.

They could stretch him out on the side, but it leaves them short in the pen. He could probably give them five right now.

TJ and Tommy Hunter stepping up as effective long-men/middle innings guys has gone a long way towards keeping our bullpen one of the best in the business. They're doing more than just keeping the 8th/9th inning guys rested, they are shutting down opponents and keeping our team in games. It's no coincidence that we're on pace for a lot less blowout losses than last year. Essentially all of our games have been reasonably close, and a big reason is because McFarland and Hunter have been buying our offense time to get back into games where the starter struggles.

T.J. McFARLAND O (vs. BLUE JAYS, 5/23)

IP:. 2 *

H:o 3

R:O 4

ER:)2

BB: 2

SO: 1

Pitches: 41 (23 Strikes, 18 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.18

* McFarland entered the game with a runner on 1st base and nobody out.

Definitely one of his worst performances. That said, some poor defense and some not so hard hit balls finding holes out there.

Yes. It also didn't help that instead of starting with a clean inning, he came in right after Strop had walked a batter on 4 pitches without recording an out (in that inning.)

T.J. McFARLAND O (vs. TIGERS, 6/01)

IP:. 3 *

H:o 5

R:O 5

BB: 2

SO: 2

Pitches: 69 (41 Strikes, 28 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.23

* McFarland entered the game with a runner on 1st base and no outs.

I haven't seen much mention of McFarland for a rotation spot next year, but it seems to me that is managements intention. Just like the O's of old, bring up a guy, get him experience in the pen, and then put him in the rotation.

I haven't seen much mention of McFarland for a rotation spot next year, but it seems to me that is managements intention. Just like the O's of old, bring up a guy, get him experience in the pen, and then put him in the rotation.

I don't know what management is thinking, but I sure hope they aren't counting on TJ for a rotation spot next year.

Archived