Disappointed in attendance?

Pedro Cerrano

Day of game walkup fee still sticks in my crawl. Have refused to do it.

Weekday game are/were a spontaneous (hey the weather is great... so and so is pitching) decision.

I usually plan and buy in advance weekend tickets.

This "theory" has been debunked numerous times, but I'll do it again. The online ticket charges are MUCH higher than the "walk up" charge of $2 or whatever it is.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, but the discrepancy seems much greater than it was 10 years ago.

I have three teenage daughters, and it seems every night we are running somewhere...and they don't even play sports! I would guess this is one reason why weekday crowds are not real high, but why its different now than in years past I don't know, nor can I tell you why other teams are able to draw weekday crowds.

Day of game walkup fee still sticks in my crawl. Have refused to do it.

Weekday game are/were a spontaneous (hey the weather is great... so and so is pitching) decision.

I usually plan and buy in advance weekend tickets.

This "theory" has been debunked numerous times, but I'll do it again. The online ticket charges are MUCH higher than the "walk up" charge of $2 or whatever it is.

Yes. I believe that it's a $1 charge ...... and that is only for the day of the game. There is no charge if you buy a ticket for the following day's game (or any future games.) When you buy a ticket on-line on the Orioles' site, you get TWO charges ...... a "convenience" fee, and an "order" fee.

The "order" fee is always $4. The "convenience" fee varies, depending on the price of the ticket that you buy. For example, if you buy a $9 upper reserve ticket, the convenience fee is $1.75 (on top of the $4 order fee.). If you buy a $55 field level box seat, the convenience fee is $6.75 (on top of the $4 order fee.) And, if you buy a $60 field level box seat, the convenience fee is $7.75 (plus the $4 order fee.)

It's a shame that this needs to be continually explained, but someone always comes out of the woodwork every now and then to complain about the $1 walk-up fee.

Sometimes I suspect that they already know all of this, but they just like to stir the **** and complain.

I have three teenage daughters, and it seems every night we are running somewhere...and they don't even play sports! I would guess this is one reason why weekday crowds are not real high, but why its different now than in years past I don't know, nor can I tell you why other teams are able to draw weekday crowds.

Less than 80,000 for a 3 game week night series against the Yankees is pretty dismal. Could be the Orioles were on a losing streak and fans took a wait and see attitude. Plus, lots of no names on the Yankees team. Not very boo-worthy.

But last night, here's what happened around the league in other stadiums while the Orioles entertained 26,700 in the seats:

A's @ Texas: 42,700

Rays @ Toronto: 18,700

Seattle @ Angels: 33,300

Detroit @ Cleveland: 16,500

Red Sox @ White Sox: 21,200

KC @ Astros: 12,300

Twins @ Atlanta: 27,700

Dodgers @ Brewers: 36,900

Reds @ Mets: 30,400

Arizona @ Colorado: 31,700

Nats @ Giants: 41,100

Cubs @ Pirates: 12,600

Phillies @ Marlins: 15,500

Cards @ Padres: 18,600

So the Orioles had the 8th highest attendance in 15 games yesterday.

With roughly just less than 1/3rd of the home game schedules played, the Giants and Dodgers have already surpassed 1M fans each in 24 home games to far. They rank # 1 # 2 in attendance. The Yankees are in 4th with 900K; Red Sox in 10th with 750K; the Orioles are in 20th with 600K; and the Rays are in 28th with 395K.

Less than 80,000 for a 3 game week night series against the Yankees is pretty dismal. Could be the Orioles were on a losing streak and fans took a wait and see attitude. Plus, lots of no names on the Yankees team. Not very boo-worthy.

But last night, here's what happened around the league in other stadiums while the Orioles entertained 26,700 in the seats:

A's @ Texas: 42,700

Rays @ Toronto: 18,700

Seattle @ Angels: 33,300

Detroit @ Cleveland: 16,500

Red Sox @ White Sox: 21,200

KC @ Astros: 12,300

Twins @ Atlanta: 27,700

Dodgers @ Brewers: 36,900

Reds @ Mets: 30,400

Arizona @ Colorado: 31,700

Nats @ Giants: 41,100

Cubs @ Pirates: 12,600

Phillies @ Marlins: 15,500

Cards @ Padres: 18,600

So the Orioles had the 8th highest attendance in 15 games yesterday.

With roughly just less than 1/3rd of the home game schedules played, the Giants and Dodgers have already surpassed 1M fans each in 24 home games to far. They rank # 1 # 2 in attendance. The Yankees are in 4th with 900K; Red Sox in 10th with 750K; the Orioles are in 20th with 600K; and the Rays are in 28th with 395K.

There were barely any yankees fans at the game last night. So blame the "low" numbers on them. Well actually it was pretty crowded in my section and the parking lot was almost full when I got there. I prefer the 14,000 fan weekday crowds. Super annoying peope next to me. I don't think they watched one second of the game. I prefer my empty row.

A little bird said they expect around 35,000 or more all week. The hot weather might be the only caveat to a big attendance week.

I'll be interested to see if we outdraw what the Nats drew for their two games (76,000+). The Nats had the advantage of hosting a game on Memorial Day, which drew 41,000+; last night was 35,000+.

I'll be interested to see if we outdraw what the Nats drew for their two games (76,000+). The Nats had the advantage of hosting a game on Memorial Day, which drew 41,000+; last night was 35,000+.

I think tonight will be sold out because of the Davis T-shirt. Wish I was going, but will be there tomorrow instead. However, there are still a ton of O's fans in the DMV area. Who came to the game on Monday/Tuesday. I don't see as many Nats fans making the trip. I don't think we will beat their attendance record.

Also Nats draw huge crowds but if you notice it usually 60/40 (Nats fans/Other teams fans). It sucks for the team. I mean, everyone I know cheers for the Nats (but me), except for when their hometown team comes to play, then they cheer for them. The Nats are a secondary team to so many

About 5,000 seats left for tonight, and about double for tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads-up. Not for me, but for Oriole fans that live within an hour or so of the stadium, and want to go. :)

Archived