Disappointed in attendance?

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oo

VS. TIGERS, 5/31

46,249 O(100.6 % Full)

The weekend crowds continue to be amazing. This is the fourth weekend of the season and they've drawn at least 110,000 in the other three. This weekend could be 130,000.

The weekend crowds continue to be amazing. This is the fourth weekend of the season and they've drawn at least 110,000 in the other three. This weekend could be 130,000.

Believe it or not, that was the size of the crowd for a boxing match in Mexico City in 1993, when Julio Cesar Chavez defended his junior-welterweight championship against Greg Haugen.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-02-21/sports/sp-960_1_greg-haugen

O

hqdefault.jpg

Yeah, that's a pretty ridiculous statement. I'll say something else: DC is not as much of a migrant town as people think. It used to be, but not everybody here is a politian or someone who works for one. I've lived here my whole life.

I agree with 99% of what you post, but you are off here. I've lived in DC my entire life and 15 years ago it lost it's charm. The native population has now moved away, investors & corporations have bought out all the real estate. The demographics of the city have changed at alarming rates. DC is a transient city full of young professionals from all over the world. Is that a bad thing? Everyone has their own answer to that question. But the Nat's even Redskins are not the overwhelming favorites in town. Going through Mt. Pleasant, Penn quarter, U St., 14th st., Eastern Market, Capitol Hill, Adams Morgan, Shaw, Brookland you're more likely to find a Yankees Bar, Red Sox Bar, Steelers Bar, Eagles Bar, Etc. As a DC native, it's sad. With that being said Go O's!

38,945 for today's game. Slightly more than I thought were there, considering there were a few sections of upper deck seats that were empty, but still really good for a hot Saturday afternoon game. What I was surprised at though was how well the Tigers fans travel. I know they went to the World Series last year, but I couldn't believe how many there were, and the Orioles pitching problems made them extremely audible. When did Detroit start traveling like a smaller Boston?

38,945 for today's game. Slightly more than I thought were there, considering there were a few sections of upper deck seats that were empty, but still really good for a hot Saturday afternoon game. What I was surprised at though was how well the Tigers fans travel. I know they went to the World Series last year, but I couldn't believe how many there were, and the Orioles pitching problems made them extremely audible. When did Detroit start traveling like a smaller Boston?

I talked with a lot of the Tigers fans the past 2 games and i would say that most of them are not from Detroit. A lot were from Virginia, Pennsylvania, etc. Many seemed to be bandwagon fans who just "liked the Tigers." A few were actually from Michigan, but definitely not the majority.

Up 112,000 through 27 home dates (1/3 of a full home schedule, but last year the O's had only 79 home dates due to two rainouts rescheduled as doubleheaders). So., O's are on pace for 300-350,000 increase from last year.

So far, the Orioles are on pace to draw around 2.5 mil. If they stay in it all summer again, I could see them drawing around 2.7 mil.

We're on pace to draw a little over 2.3 Million right now (2,318,188.)

I agree with you, though. I can see us drawing at least 2.5 Million, and perhaps as high as 2.7 Million if we stay well above .500 throughout the season.

OVERALL (28 GAMES): 801,349

AVERAGE PER GAME:() 28,620 o

We're on pace to draw a little over 2.3 Million right now (2,318,188.)

Depends how you look at it. Your projection just takes fans per game to date and multiplies by 81. But history shows that crowds are much bigger in June and July than in April and May. The O's are up about 105,000 over last year, so it's reasonable to say they're on pace to draw 2.4 mm+.

Depends how you look at it. Your projection just takes fans per game to date and multiplies by 81. But history shows that crowds are much bigger in June and July than in April and May. The O's are up about 105,000 over last year, so it's reasonable to say they're on pace to draw 2.4 mm+.

Game 28 last year (June 8), average attendance 24,872; game 66 average (Aug 29) 24,922. Yes, there were plenty of spikes in between those dates, with the average getting to 27,058 (game 44) but these things level out over the summer. Last year, attendance rose again at the end because of the playoff run in September. That will be the key to this season as well.

Game 28 last year (June 8), average attendance 24,872; game 66 average (Aug 29) 24,922. Yes, there were plenty of spikes in between those dates, with the average getting to 27,058 (game 44) but these things level out over the summer. Last year, attendance rose again at the end because of the playoff run in September. That will be the key to this season as well.

You'll notice I didn't mention August, which was the lowest month of the year for attendance in 2012.

I'm just guessing here, but I think June and July will be very strong once again, and that August will be much better attended this year. It blew my mind last August when the O's drew four straight crowds under 13,100 against the White Sox.

So, while I agree with you that the final attendance figure will depend a lot on whether the Orioles are in contention in September, I will predict now that the average attendance through the end of August will be significantly higher than the average attendance through the end of May (28,620), unlike last year.

Archived