Disappointed in attendance?

Pedro Cerrano

Pretty good, but I actually thought they'd pull in 45,000 for all three games.

O's still working on increasing the season ticket base. O's fans are not impressed with paying extra to sit next to an obnoxious Yankees fan.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
O's still working on increasing the season ticket base. O's fans are not impressed with paying extra to sit next to an obnoxious Yankees fan.

42,500 average per game... I think the Orioles fans didn't mind the Yankees fans. It was fun high fiving all the Orioles fans around me Friday night. I would have went on Saturday but it was sold out.

42,500 average per game... I think the Orioles fans didn't mind the Yankees fans. It was fun high fiving all the Orioles fans around me Friday night. I would have went on Saturday but it was sold out.

Point is it should've been a hard sellout all 3 nights. Saturday had the most Yankees fans and was the only sellout. Almost there..just not quite. But 100% better than 5 years ago.

Point is it should've been a hard sellout all 3 nights. Saturday had the most Yankees fans and was the only sellout. Almost there..just not quite. But 100% better than 5 years ago.

Why should have it been a hard sell out all three nights? They were premium price games and there are not as many Yankee fans coming as their team sucks this year. And there isn't a lot of star players on the Yankees for Orioles fans to see. That was awesome attendance. Anyone that says otherwise is just being super negative.

Why should have it been a hard sell out all three nights? They were premium price games and there are not as many Yankee fans coming as their team sucks this year. And there isn't a lot of star players on the Yankees for Orioles fans to see. That was awesome attendance. Anyone that says otherwise is just being super negative.

I'm not being negative, you just completely flip flopped on your point. The point is Orioles fans don't want to pay a premium to watch the Yankees. If you have season tickets you don't pay that. Thus the orioles are still working on their season ticket base. Otherwise it would've been a sellout

Was at the game tonite. I think moving the game from a 1:30 start to an 8:00 start cost the Orioles a sell-out. Daytime Sunday start, those extra 5,000 seats fill up. Night start, especially one hour later than other nite games start at Camden Yards, makes a harder sell.

It may have affected ticket sales a bit, but it did help focus the positive national media spotlight on the O's a bit more. I mean who doesn't love seeing the Yankee's lose besides their own fans? Adolf, Osama, Saddam, Joffrey, Beiber...all Yankee fans.

Was at the game tonite. I think moving the game from a 1:30 start to an 8:00 start cost the Orioles a sell-out. Daytime Sunday start, those extra 5,000 seats fill up. Night start, especially one hour later than other nite games start at Camden Yards, makes a harder sell.

but didn't the orioles do something where if you bought a ticket to that game, you got another one for free?

now the weekend series against boston in a month. that needs to be sold out.

but didn't the orioles do something where if you bought a ticket to that game, you got another one for free?

now the weekend series against boston in a month. that needs to be sold out.

Don't think so. That was during the week against Cleveland. I think it was Monday and Tuesday.

I'm not being negative, you just completely flip flopped on your point. The point is Orioles fans don't want to pay a premium to watch the Yankees. If you have season tickets you don't pay that. Thus the orioles are still working on their season ticket base. Otherwise it would've been a sellout

I wouldn't say that the Orioles "should have" sold out all three games, I'm just a bit surprised that they didn't. However, my guess is that the O's made considerably more money charging the premium prices than they would have made if they charged the standard prices and sold an extra 12,000 tickets this weekend.

The averages by month in 2012 and 2013 so far:

Apr: 23,193

May: 23,646

Jun: 32,522

Jul: 25,450

Aug: 20,353

Sep: 35,187

2013:

Apr: 26,398 (12 dates)

May: 29,032 (14 dates)

June: 31,471 (16 dates)

June was actually a little better last year, as the Phillies and Nats weekend series for 2012 outdrew the Red Sox and Yankees series from 2013. Still, June was very strong and all 8 weekend games drew at least 38,945 fans.

Coming in July: 4 game weekday series with Texas, 3 game weekend series with Toronto, 3 game weekend series with Boston, and 2 weekday games with Houston.

Coming in August: 1 weekday game with Houston, 3 weekend games with Seattle, 2 weekend games with Colorado, 3 weekday games with Tampa, 3 weekend games with Oakland.

Coming in September: 1 weekday and 3 weekend games with Chicago, 4 weekday games with the Yankees, 3 weekday games with Toronto, and 3 weekend games with Boston.

I think the O's will beat their averages for last July and August by a large margin, but I'd guess they'll lose some ground in September even if we're in a pennant race. Right now they are up 109,985 from last year, plus they potentially have two extra home dates (last year two games were rained out and rescheduled as single-admission doubleheaders). I'd guess final attendance will be somewhere between 2.3 - 2.4 million.

Archived