Disappointed in attendance?

Pedro Cerrano

Coming in July: 4 game weekday series with Texas, 3 game weekend series with Toronto, 3 game weekend series with Boston, and 2 weekday games with Houston....

I think the O's will beat their averages for last July and August by a large margin, but I'd guess they'll lose some ground in September even if we're in a pennant race. Right now they are up 109,985 from last year, plus they potentially have two extra home dates (last year two games were rained out and rescheduled as single-admission doubleheaders). I'd guess final attendance will be somewhere between 2.3 - 2.4 million.

Texas Game 1: 24,619

Texas Game 2: 29,160

Those are the largest Monday and Tuesday crowds the Orioles have had all year, even narrowly beating attendance when the Yankees were in town on a Monday and Tuesday in May. Very encouraging -- now the O's need to win some damn games to keep folks interested!

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19,344 tonight. The smallest crowd of the series, but still decent.

And these Oriole fans are LOUD !!!

When I was there last night, I was surprised to later find out that the attendance was 29,160. It sure sounded like about 35,000 to me.

The passion of the fans is almost as important as the numbers themselves. :)

I am still disappointed in attendance. There is really NO excuse not to go. Before 2005 the Orioles were still averaging 35k+ attendance, and there is more reason to go now than there was then. I wonder if people are still mad about the Ravens thing, i seriously doubt thats the reason though.

I am still disappointed in attendance. There is really NO excuse not to go. Before 2005 the Orioles were still averaging 35k+ attendance, and there is more reason to go now than there was then. I wonder if people are still mad about the Ravens thing, i seriously doubt thats the reason though.

Like you, I'm kind of disappointed the attendance increase isn't larger. I don't think the "Ravens thing" has anything to do with it, however. I think there are 4 factors at play:

1. The Nats. They weren't here when the O's were drawing 35,000 per game.

2. 13 straight years of losing. The O's didn't lose 2.1 mm fans/yr overnight, and can't gain it back all at once.

3. The steroids scandal of 2005. That hurt the Orioles' brand loyalty a ton. They had their single biggest attendance drop the following year.

4. Traffic hassles have gotten worse over time. The O's are drawing spectacularly on the weekends but mediocrily during the week, and that's the reason why.

The Orioles’ front office says what’s really picked up is fan attendance. Consistent play by the team and last year’s playoff run has more Marylanders at the ballpark. In 2011, the Orioles were 26 out of the 30 Major League teams for attendance. This year, the bBirds have jumped to 18th out of 30.

It’s the third biggest attendance increase.

And hotels are often booked or near-filled when the O’s are in town.

“More fans, more revenue, more shopping, more bars and pubs get business so it’s good for everybody,” said Eddie Dashiell.

Area businesses say they expect to stay busy through the regular season, and they hope to again see the O’s in the playoffs.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/07/09/orioles-see-major-improvement-in-attendance/

Why in the world would you be disappointed in attendance? I went on Tuesday and the place was packed. And the crowd was crazy loud. I am sure the orioles are overjoyed with attendance. Huge crowds on weekdays against the Rangers. If you can't be haopt about that I guess the only thing that would make you happy is games sold put months in advance and it is impossible for you to get tickets.

My only point of confusion is how they're still in the middle of the pack in the AL in attendance even though attendance is up compared to last year so far. They're 8th in the AL according to BB-Ref. My question would be whose in front of them, and save for every game being sold out how they can move up the list.

My only point of confusion is how they're still in the middle of the pack in the AL in attendance even though attendance is up compared to last year so far. They're 8th in the AL according to BB-Ref. My question would be whose in front of them, and save for every game being sold out how they can move up the list.

We are 2000 a game behind Minnesota and Toronto if we keep playing well and those teams continue to struggle we will probably be ahead of them before two long. We are 4000 behind the Red Sox. I don't think there is much hope of us catching the Rangers, Yankees, and Tigers. So if we are in the hunt the rest of the season you will probably still end up with 3 or 4 teams a head of us in the American League who have been good for a long time and are good this season. If we continue to play well for the next 3 or 4 season I am sure will be up near the top once again.

Archived