Disappointed in attendance?

Pedro Cerrano

One more thing, the Rays had 13,000 tonight. Yes, they were playing the Astros, but 13,000 on a Friday night in July is embarrassing no matter who you play.

They cant even sell out playoff games, doesnt suprise me at all. Pro sports in Florida is a joke.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One more thing, the Rays had 13,000 tonight. Yes, they were playing the Astros, but 13,000 on a Friday night in July is embarrassing no matter who you play.

Well, as recently as last year the O's had five weekend games that drew under 20,000, including a Sunday game that drew only 14,738 and a Friday game that drew 17,277. This year their lowest weekend crowd has been 26,811, and that was a Saturday afternoon makeup of a game rained out the previous night. Other than that anomaly, the lowest weekend crowd has been 34,431. Interestingly, that was a Sunday game the first home weekend of the year against the Twins; last year's smallest crowd of 14,738 also was a Sunday game against the Twins on the first weekend of the year. But there's a difference of nearly 20,000 between the two.

Way too crowded today. Got in at 130 to hear Buck and DD talk and the placewas packed by 2. I miss the 20k crowds of past seasons. Saw 3 games this week. Tuesdays was definitely the loudest. Was at the Nationals stadium last night for McCartney show and really appreciated Camden yards. Even the neighborhood down there sucks.

Well, as recently as last year the O's had five weekend games that drew under 20,000, including a Sunday game that drew only 14,738 and a Friday game that drew 17,277. This year their lowest weekend crowd has been 26,811, and that was a Saturday afternoon makeup of a game rained out the previous night. Other than that anomaly, the lowest weekend crowd has been 34,431. Interestingly, that was a Sunday game the first home weekend of the year against the Twins; last year's smallest crowd of 14,738 also was a Sunday game against the Twins on the first weekend of the year. But there's a difference of nearly 20,000 between the two.

The Rays have been contenders for 6 years now. Last year was our first winning season since 1997. Comparing our attendance pattern with theirs isn't valid, I don't think. Our fans have proven that winning provided the impetus for going to games. Obviously that is not the case for Rays fans. They are pathetic and I didn't want to hear their excuses.

34,748 for the Sunday crowd. Attendance is up 146,000 over 49 home dates. The next 17 home games present a good opportunity to gain ground, as the O's did not draw that well last July and August. The O's are averaging 34,000 a game in July, compared to just a bit over 25,000 last July. Last August we averaged only 20,000 or so.

34,748 for the Sunday crowd. Attendance is up 146,000 over 49 home dates. The next 17 home games present a good opportunity to gain ground, as the O's did not draw that well last July and August. The O's are averaging 34,000 a game in July, compared to just a bit over 25,000 last July. Last August we averaged only 20,000 or so.

Our next 3 home games is a weekend series against the Red Sox so I expect July attendance to increase even more.

• 2 weeks later...
Tons of red Sox fans on attendance. Numbers inflated for sure by that.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

It will stay that way due to Prime Pricing until the season ticket numbers get a lot bigger. I know the Orioles are selling that summer 6 pack where you can get 2 games vs the Yanks/Sox at regular prices to help.

It's interesting that that the July 12-14 Blue Jays weekend series actually outdrew the Red Sox series by a few thousand. It may just be that this part of the summer is when people start going away on their vacations, or it may be that the premium pricing tamped down attendance.

Archived