Pedro Strop Today, 2013 (Pitching)

OFFNY

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Armando Benitez. Jorge Julio. Pedro Strop. Pedro isn't going to get it done in Baltimore. Need to move him. He's got too much mental baggage now.

Yeah, and it would be great to move Jim Johnson too, but those opportunities came and went--two guys who overperformed last year and are regressing to their normal level of play. The gamble would have been to sell high in the offseason (and that might not even have applied to Strop), but that could also have backfired. One thing is sure now: if we were to try to move Strop and JJ, we'd be selling them at their lowest--and that's not smart baseball management.

Don't see how you go to Pedro after Jimmy John frauds. It's like saying you submit without saying it.

I agree. Was a really poor scenario. Just because he pitched well in a tight game against the Rays, doesn't mean he's ready for a time game against the Yankees.

Strop had been pitching well lately, so if he's on your roster, use him. Even Gregg got into some extra inning games last year. The problem is that we all too often have the 25th player be some kind of dynamite who needs to be handled with kid gloves. Flaherty and Gregg last year. Strop this year. We need to just get some guys who are dependable and consistent. Not necessarily great players but guys who know won't beat themselves and not give in.

Of course this is reactionary but if you check my posts I've been suggesting that Strop is shot in Baltimore. He's a head case and he's got baggage. The confidence is shot. First sign of trouble, he falls apart. Now, Patton continues to disappoint but Strop is DONE. We can't send him down. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and take the chance that he's good for another team and you get nothing for him. No sense continuing to lose games while you hope he gets it together. Between last September and this year, he's just too much of a time bomb. We have arms in Norfolk, Arrieta, Asencio, Steve Johnson, or even Adam Russell, who's been throwing the ball well, who deserve a chance. Make the tough decision BUT the right decision. Release Strop!

Maybe reactionary, but I tend to agree with you. I have no faith in him. When he comes in chalk it up to us giving up on the game.

Since the All-Star break last year, Strop has walked a whopping 30 batters in 46.1 innings. Buck made a poor decision bringing him in with runners on base in that situation. I know Buck's options there are limited, but Strop shouldn't be on the roster to begin with. He's a major liability, and he shouldn't be pitching in the majors.

Since the All-Star break last year, Strop has walked a whopping 30 batters in 46.1 innings. Buck made a poor decision bringing him in with runners on base in that situation. I know Buck's options there are limited, but Strop shouldn't be on the roster to begin with. He's a major liability, and he shouldn't be pitching in the majors.

There was no one else to use there, no one. Patton screwed things up by walking the 9th place hitter.

I am not releasing a guy with this much talent. I would let Patton go before I let go of Strop. I saw him dominate in the WBC. I am not giving up on that kind of talent this early. Last year we kept Gregg here until September. With Hunter's recent success Patton's troubles are more of an issue to me. McFarland is going to start being asked to get bigger outs. If Wada is on the roster he could always be sent to the pen to be a long guy if he struggles starting.

That's fine. Then you are essentially one man short in the bullpen. Just because it worked last year, doesn't mean we should do it again. Strop could be a very good setup guy. He'll never be elite because of his command. He looked great in the WBC. This ain't the WBC. I was fooled too!

Patton isn't doing much better. I am trying to look beyond the present. Wada has to be on the roster, if he isn't good enough to be a starter than he could always be a 6th starter and be the long man. Our pen isn't going to last until the starters start going deep.

Strop was elite for a stretch last year, he might never get it back but I am going to have a little longer leash because of that.

There was no one else to use there, no one. Patton screwed things up by walking the 9th place hitter.

I am not releasing a guy with this much talent. I would let Patton go before I let go of Strop. I saw him dominate in the WBC. I am not giving up on that kind of talent this early. Last year we kept Gregg here until September. With Hunter's recent success Patton's troubles are more of an issue to me. McFarland is going to start being asked to get bigger outs. If Wada is on the roster he could always be sent to the pen to be a long guy if he struggles starting.

What does the WBC matter about anything? Strop has been awful for months, and he's a guy with piss poor control. Release him and move on, setup guys are volatile, replaceable commodities. We all saw a great 3 months from him last year that he will have a very hard time ever replicating because of his command issues. Try Arrieta there and see if you have someone more reliable - I think he will be much better than Strop and we should see if he can fill Strop's role from last year.

He did it for close to 5 months not 3. The WBC showed his talent. He might not get it turned around but I am not letting him go this early. All relief pitchers are volatile, Arrieta is a head case already when men are on base.

He was never elite. He was pretty good for 4 months. Look it up. He walked too many guys last year even when he was good.

I know without him we weren't in the playoffs last year. He had an era of 1.20 until the middle of August and it was still in the one's until September. You can afford walks here and there with his stuff.

Archived