Who is a worse GM?

weams

Alex Anthopoulos or Gerard Dipoto?

One or the other.

AA had a game plan and followed it. Stock up draft picks and stock the farm system. Trade prospects for superstars. Yes the Dickey trade seemed bad at the time, but if Reyes/Johnson were healthy would we be having this discussion?

Dipoto ignored clear signs of pitching trouble and his big move was Hanson. You reap what you sow. Though I don't think a lot of the blame for Pujols and Hamilton can go on him. Both were Moreno moves.

AA had a game plan and followed it. Stock up draft picks and stock the farm system. Trade prospects for superstars. Yes the Dickey trade seemed bad at the time, but if Reyes/Johnson were healthy would we be having this discussion?

Dipoto ignored clear signs of pitching trouble and his big move was Hanson. You reap what you sow. Though I don't think a lot of the blame for Pujols and Hamilton can go on him. Both were Moreno moves.

I'd go with Dipoto as worse.

For both, it's a combination of bad luck and not being prepared for injuries despite having injury-prone players. And I predict both will be forces to reckon with at some point in the year, but it's going to be too little too late.

And this lesson will be completely lost on those who need it the most next offseason. Which will frustrate the hell out of me.

My initial reaction to the questions was Anthopoulos, but I think I will go with Dipoto, as well.

Though I wasn't crazy what Anthopoulos did this off-season (I still didn't see it enough to push Toronto over the top), at least there is a small yet existent glimmer of hope in Toronto's farm system. If this doesn't pan out for Toronto, then yes this will always be viewed as terrible, but it also depends on how those prospects that were traded end up developing as well as what comes of the players they already have.

In Dipoto's case, it really astounds me how poorly that team has played. Yes, when you sit down and go piece by piece you can really get a sense of the fatal weaknesses of the team, but I still wouldn't have expected them to perform as poorly as they have. Plus, the farm system is absolutely decimated so, in theory, their lack of performance could actually take longer to recover from than the risks that Anthopoulos took. It's a shame because I like Mike Scioscia.

Not sure I see much hope for either team in making the playoffs, this year. Anaheim could make a run, but I think Texas, and Oakland for that matter, will provide hurdles that are going to be difficult to overcome with that pitching staff. I think Toronto almost has no hope. With the Yankees performing pretty well, with help on the way, they should be a contender, I think we all knew post-Valentine Red Sox were going to better, the Rays are always going to be hanging around, and our Orioles look like one of the more complete teams in the division (especially if the SP solidifies). So Anaheim has a couple of hurdles, but Toronto has a mountain.

My initial reaction to the questions was Anthopoulos, but I think I will go with Dipoto, as well.

Though I wasn't crazy what Anthopoulos did this off-season (I still didn't see it enough to push Toronto over the top), at least there is a small yet existent glimmer of hope in Toronto's farm system. If this doesn't pan out for Toronto, then yes this will always be viewed as terrible, but it also depends on how those prospects that were traded end up developing as well as what comes of the players they already have.

In Dipoto's case, it really astounds me how poorly that team has played. Yes, when you sit down and go piece by piece you can really get a sense of the fatal weaknesses of the team, but I still wouldn't have expected them to perform as poorly as they have. Plus, the farm system is absolutely decimated so, in theory, their lack of performance could actually take longer to recover from than the risks that Anthopoulos took. It's a shame because I like Mike Scioscia.

Not sure I see much hope for either team in making the playoffs, this year. Anaheim could make a run, but I think Texas, and Oakland for that matter, will provide hurdles that are going to be difficult to overcome with that pitching staff. I think Toronto almost has no hope. With the Yankees performing pretty well, with help on the way, they should be a contender, I think we all knew post-Valentine Red Sox were going to better, the Rays are always going to be hanging around, and our Orioles look like one of the more complete teams in the division (especially if the SP solidifies). So Anaheim has a couple of hurdles, but Toronto has a mountain.

Good post. I hate the pitching. Both places. I do believe that the Dickey trade was horrendous.

Posted on SI:

As the heat on Don Mattingly rises, MLB life isn't all that much better at the top of the Angels. [baseball] sources say Angels owner Arte Moreno is raging behind the scenes over his team's poor play and can't decide who to blame most, manager Mike Scioscia or GM Jerry DiPoto, for the fact that Josh Hamilton is batting .207 with 43 strikeouts, closer Ernesto Frieri has already been brought into games four times in the eighth inning, or that the Halos are eighth in the American League in runs, 11th in on-base pct., 14th in ERA, stolen bases and team defense, and 11-22 in one-run games. It got about as bad as Scioscia could hope it would this past week when the Angels lost two out of three to the woebegone Houston Astros.

New York Daily News

Posted on SI:

As the heat on Don Mattingly rises, MLB life isn't all that much better at the top of the Angels. [baseball] sources say Angels owner Arte Moreno is raging behind the scenes over his team's poor play and can't decide who to blame most, manager Mike Scioscia or GM Jerry DiPoto, for the fact that Josh Hamilton is batting .207 with 43 strikeouts, closer Ernesto Frieri has already been brought into games four times in the eighth inning, or that the Halos are eighth in the American League in runs, 11th in on-base pct., 14th in ERA, stolen bases and team defense, and 11-22 in one-run games. It got about as bad as Scioscia could hope it would this past week when the Angels lost two out of three to the woebegone Houston Astros.

New York Daily News

Minor point, but the Angels are 6-8 in one run games. It would be pretty unbelievable if they'd really had about 90% of their games decided by one run.

Archived