We seriously need to consider another closer at this point

AlbionHero

Flipping isn't the answer. JJ is only good for mop up duty. Maybe he can get a back injury so they can DL him and get him some work at AAA

I think a few of us here on the board would be more than happy to give him a back injury so they can put him on the 60 day DL.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a crazy thought, but what about Jake Arrieta as a closer. He has the stuff......maybe it will toughen him mentally.
Would anybody be opposed to seeing what Arrieta a shot at closing?

I think Jake could potentially be a good closer in the future, but you wouldn't want to just push him into the closer role with basically no bullpen experience. Try him out as a RP for a few weeks/months and see if he is comfortable/successful there, and then we can talk about him closing games in the major leagues.

For me, JJ is still the closer, but I've got to have a Plan B on days when he's struggling. You can't have him throw 35 pitches in an inning, especially when he pitched the day before. He's lost the right to just stay out there until the game is over no matter what.

Buck just said he wanted to stay away from O'Day so his other choices were Strop or Patton? Who would have been comfortable with either of those choices? Johnson had a chance for a second save in a row and get back on track. I don't blame Buck for giving him the ball to finish the 9th.

And we gave this clown a fifty year contract. Arrrghh!

You mean the clown who even now has this team above .500

The clown who took this team to the playoffs last season when they had no business sniffing it.

Come on man.....

Buck just said he wanted to stay away from O'Day so his other choices were Strop or Patton? Who would have been comfortable with either of those choices? Johnson had a chance for a second save in a row and get back on track. I don't blame Buck for giving him the ball to finish the 9th.[/quote

Strop is on dl.

He should do what he did with Strop last year when strop decided to suck real bad. He just quietly didnt use him in the 8th inning anymore. Just quietly not use JJ in the 9th.

Bring up that Norfolk closer who is pitching good.

Buck just said he wanted to stay away from O'Day so his other choices were Strop or Patton? Who would have been comfortable with either of those choices? Johnson had a chance for a second save in a row and get back on track. I don't blame Buck for giving him the ball to finish the 9th.

No doubt about it -- I think it was totally reasonable to give Jim Johnson the ball. Going into BOT 9, it seemed like Jim had gotten back on the horse and we were in line for a win. In the back of my mind I thought that maybe he might have a little bit of a struggle, but I never imagined that (1) he'd be so horrendous as to throw the game, and (2) Buck would LEAVE HIM IN for 40+ pitches and let him blow a 3-run lead.

I think even the most upset people on this board right now acknowledge that it wasn't a bad move to at least let him try to save it, but it's the extent to which he totally blew it, plus the fact that Buck simply refused to pull him for batter after batter after batter, that makes it so horrid all around.

Strop wasn't an option, he's on the DL. But yes, I'd rather have Patton than Jim Johnson right now. Jim Johnson has something crazy like a 20 ERA the last 2 weeks. I'd rather have almost anyone AA and above in the organization than Johnson right now.

You mean the clown who even now has this team above .500

The clown who took this team to the playoffs last season when they had no business sniffing it.

Come on man.....

He is too stubborn and loyal. When a guy starts sucking they need to find other options than just leave a guy out there to die. Jim is having a mental issues now. Something is in his head. He has lost the mojo. He thinks he will get beat and so he does. He needs some decompression innings.

Archived