Two Guy's we should think about

Traylor

Dave, as I recall, you said Liz or Olson weren't enough to get Huber. Are you saying that Huber has significantly more value than Dan Johnson?

I agree that the price would be close to an Olson although you never know what else Oakland might be interested in (Fiorentino) or some combination of players.

BTW, counting on Brandon Sing to be anything than the AA 1B is extreme wishful thinking. He tanked in AAA last year for whatever reasons. It is optimistic to think he'll even flourish in AAA, not to mention the majors.

Huber > Johnson, yes.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What better younger option is available for Liz or Olson?

Then i look into other things. Liz or Olson is not worth DJ. I would rather have Liz's power arm in the bullpen or Olson has the starter in waiting than trade either of them for Johnson.

Personally, i think you could get Johnson for less and i am sure that we could get Carter for Liz or Olson, so it really doesn't matter.

When the Royals traded for Shealy, the talk was they were doing it so they could turn some of their other corner guys into young pitching.

So, let's assume that Huber is one of those guys they would consider trading...I am curious as to what you think they would get for him Dave?

Do you think someone is giving up a top 20 pitching prospect for him?

Penn for Huber would be a solid deal for both sides.

Neither Penn, nor Liz, nor Olson is a top 20 pitching prospect.

Then i look into other things. Liz or Olson is not worth DJ. I would rather have Liz's power arm in the bullpen or Olson has the starter in waiting than trade either of them for Johnson.

Personally, i think you could get Johnson for less and i am sure that we could get Carter for Liz or Olson, so it really doesn't matter.

You just confirmed what I originally said.

You'd rather have Liz, Olson and Sing than Liz/Olson and Johnson, with Sing in the minors.

Hope Sing works out for you.

You just confirmed what I originally said.

You'd rather have Liz, Olson and Sing than Liz/Olson and Johnson, with Sing in the minors.

Hope Sing works out for you.

Unlike you, i can see several moves in advance..One doesn't work out, you move onto the next one.

It really is not difficult.

BTW, RZ is also right about the Shealy trade.

And why is that? Besides a very slight age/level advantage Johnson has already put up an .800 OPS in the majors and performed as well or better than Huber in the minors. I believe, although not sure, that Johnson is also considered better defensively. I would consider Johnson the better player but it's arguable. If there's any advantage for Huber it's got to be very, very slight.

The age/level thing is part of it.

The bigger thing, though, is that Johnson's been handed an everyday job in the bigs, and he promptly lost it due to subpar production. I think that hurts his stock more than Huber's is hurt by his struggles in MLB in limited/sporadic ABs.

Unlike you, i can see several moves in advance..One doesn't work out, you move onto the next one.

It really is not difficult.

BTW, RZ is also right about the Shealy trade.

Well a bit ago you said you'd trade Liz/Olson for a better, younger option.

I asked who that would be.

You didn't give me an answer. Like now, you babbled about "looking into other things".

So who do you have playing 1B for the O's in 2007, if not Brandon Sing? Are you going with Kevin Millar?

We could go back and forth. I think if you aren't too stubborn you'll admit that you could make a case for either. I don't see a huge difference. BTW, Johnson had a dreadful start, then had a huge June. He hardly played in July and not at all in August. Injury? Hard to believe they sent him down so soon after his great month in June. He came back in September and was decent. Of course, you don't get a guy like this from Oakland unless he faltered somewhat. Huber could turn out better but I think I'd take this guy. Six of one, half a dozen of another.

Look you asked me why I'd put Huber ahead of Johnson, and I told you why.

Well a bit ago you said you'd trade Liz/Olson for a better, younger option.

I asked who that would be.

You didn't give me an answer. Like now, you babbled about "looking into other things".

So who do you have playing 1B for the O's in 2007, if not Brandon Sing? Are you going with Kevin Millar?

I said trade for Carter. We can also get Huber, perhaps Kotchman. I have said these same names over and over again.

I said trade for Carter. We can also get Huber, perhaps Kotchman. I have said these same names over and over again.

Huber for Liz/Olson is a no-go IMO, as I've said over and over.

I'd prefer Johnson to Carter or Kotchman. The former plays horrible defense, and the latter simply doesn't play.

Huber for Liz/Olson is a no-go IMO, as I've said over and over.
You actually believe, if some team wanted Huber, they would have to trade more talent than Olson or Liz? Thats unbelievable to me.
I'd prefer Johnson to Carter or Kotchman. The former plays horrible defense, and the latter simply doesn't play
Carter and Kotchman have alot more upside than the 27 y/o Johnson.

I like Kotchman to but the Angels will want at least one of Liz / Olsen . Dont you think . Also D Johnson does have a small track record with some sucsess at the ML level . I know Casey is a little younger but Im not sold that the upside is higher . 550 abs for DJ and 30 hr 275 ba 90 rbi with a fine glove a 1b . DJ could put those up for 4 or 5 years . I dont like the other two yall are talking abiut because of thier deffense . We dont need another DH type .

WE Got a Great big Hole at First ! :)

Tray

You actually believe, if some team wanted Huber, they would have to trade more talent than Olson or Liz? Thats unbelievable to me.

Carter and Kotchman have alot more upside than the 27 y/o Johnson.

It's only unbelievable because you overvalue Liz and Olson.

It's only unbelievable because you overvalue Liz and Olson.

You've made this argument before, but I still don't see how you are coming to your conclusion. We've heard what scouts think of both Liz and Olson, and I think you see Olson just outside the top-100 and I think you see Liz just inside the top-100.

Huber was ranked as BA's #84 prospect before last season, before he put up a very disappointing .845 OPS in Omaha last year. You can bet for sure that he won't be ranked there this year.

He doesn't hit for a high average (beside one fluke year) and he strikes out too much. He's got some power, but he is blocked in KC and is a first baseman, which does lower his value somewhat. He looks like a Craig Wilson type at best to me.

Dan Johnson...he's alright, but I wouldn't give up one of my better pitching prospects for him, and same goes for Huber. I would do so for Carter. But I'm just wondering how people are overrating Liz and Olson when they clearly have more value than Huber and Johnson (or at most equal value).

Archived