2013 Orioles CB round draft pick A - Josh Hart - CF - Parkview HS - Georgia

Well. That is hard to say. Some evaluate that the power is there. And if he is not a center fielder, the Orioles will have missed this one.

Right now he's maybe a five-HR guy. If the power comes then he might be a fifteen-HR guy. That frame isn't conducive to big power. Of course, you could have said the same about Ellsbury, but then he went and hit 32 one year.

e: five to fifteen is definitely not an insignificant jump, but fifteen to thirty is huge and I think it's unfair to even call that a possibility for Hart right now. keep expectations reasonable and maybe we won't be let down.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right now he's maybe a five-HR guy. If the power comes then he might be a fifteen-HR guy. That frame isn't conducive to big power. Of course, you could have said the same about Ellsbury, but then he went and hit 32 one year.

e: five to fifteen is definitely not an insignificant jump, but fifteen to thirty is huge and I think it's unfair to even call that a possibility for Hart right now. keep expectations reasonable and maybe we won't be let down.

Ok. Then I'll stick with the Denard Span comp. ;)

I think the Avery comps are laughably bad. Hart's approach is light years beyond Avery's at his draft, and maybe better now.

This is guy who Gary Rajsich had on his VERY short list for pick 22.

“Hart, he was also on our list of five to seven guys that we would have taken with our first pick had Harvey not been there. So obviously we are thrilled. We had both of those guys high on our boards. And to get both of them with our first two picks, we are really ecstatic about it. A dynamic player; he is a middle of the field player. He has a really good chance to stay in center field. He has five tools now, presently, so you don’t have to project. It’s just a matter of time and playing that he gets bigger and stronger and is ready to go."

He has five tools in the same way that Manny has five tools.

I tend to agree with you, but power isn't simply a function of distance. If he barrels up consistently, some fair power projection is reasonable. He's more of a 3 tool guy for me with doubles power as a reasonable projection and really no chance to have a plus arm, even if it is adequate for CF.

ESPN Insiders take

Orioles (No. 37) | Josh Hart, OF, Parkview High School (Lilburn, Ga.): Hart's ability to use his plus speed in the field and on the bases earned him a top-40 selection, but his feel for the game suggests he could develop an average or better hit tool that may land him as a leadoff hitter. There's not a lot of upside here, but Hart is a great athlete who knows how to play and use his strengths to his advantage.

Ok. Then I'll stick with the Denard Span comp. ;)

I'd gladly take a Denard Span in our organization. 17.5 rWAR and not yet 30, career .354 OBP and a good defender? Sign me up! FWIW, Span was the no. 20 overall pick in 2002.

ESPN Insiders take

Orioles (No. 37) | Josh Hart, OF, Parkview High School (Lilburn, Ga.): Hart's ability to use his plus speed in the field and on the bases earned him a top-40 selection, but his feel for the game suggests he could develop an average or better hit tool that may land him as a leadoff hitter. There's not a lot of upside here, but Hart is a great athlete who knows how to play and use his strengths to his advantage.

The bolded is something that I do not want to hear unless it is followed with, "but he could contribute at the ML level within the next year".

Archived