Team era when Wieters is not behind the plate is under 3.00

joedogg9999

When hes catching? Between his bad game in the pitching game and his miserable bat we would be better off trading him for a ToR. He still has that value around the league but that wont last much longer.
I love how on one hand he says how bad he is but we can trade him for a TOR starter. I guess everyone in baseball is foolish except joedogg. Hopefully we sign Wieters to a long term contract and sure up the catcher position for the next 6-7 years. He may not be Johnny Bench offensively but he is pretty good. If he signs an extension he will go down as the best catcher in Oriole history.

WE KNOW that Wieters is clearly detrimental to the team, but the other 29 General Managers in the major leagues are all deaf, dumb, and blind, so let's get it done already. Damn, is it that difficult to understand ???

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WE KNOW that Wieters is clearly detrimental to the team, but the other 29 General Managers in the major leagues are all deaf, dumb, and blind, so let's get it done already. Damn, is it that difficult to understand ???

Its the Illuminati MAN!! They got the world fooled! But They don't have my mind because I am not a ROBOT! #AYNRANDFOLYFE!

How are they at pinball?

They stand like statues, and become part of the machines.

They feel all the bumpers, and always play them clean.

They play by intuition, and the digit counters fall.

LOL!! I am trying my best!!

• 2 months later...

I've been saying it for months I would rather pitch to Teagarden. His catcher's ERA is more than half a run better than Wieters. I don't like Wieters pitch calling and his pitch framing is not very good. He probably doesn't care as much, now that's he's making 5.55 million dollars a year. Catchers don't get paid for handling the staff, they get paid big bucks if they can hit. The green comes with every home run. Not every perfectly framed pitch or called offering.

I've been saying it for months I would rather pitch to Teagarden. His catcher's ERA is more than half a run better than Wieters. I don't like Wieters pitch calling and his pitch framing is not very good. He probably doesn't care as much, now that's he's making 5.55 million dollars a year. Catchers don't get paid for handling the staff, they get paid big bucks if they can hit. The green comes with every home run. Not every perfectly framed pitch or called offering.

Well his CERA has been well above the other backup catchers average in all previous years except this one (including Teagarden last year). Can you explain that?

I'm not crazy about handing out Wieters a lot of money. I don't think he's very good at pitch framing and I do think a lot of people overvalue his pitch calling/intangibles etc., but I do think CERA is largely nonsense/noise. I'm quite surprised that DRS/rWAR even utilzes it.

Whenever Wieters hits a little bit for a few days, the people who usually complain about his offense complain about his defense.

I'm not a Wieters-basher, but he does not strike me as a great pitch-caller or pitch-framer. His offense is fine for a catcher, but he is hitting 5th or 6th usually in this lineup, and that's not where he should be...but I'm not blaming him for that.

Well his CERA has been well above the other backup catchers average in all previous years except this one (including Teagarden last year). Can you explain that?

I'm not crazy about handing out Wieters a lot of money. I don't think he's very good at pitch framing and I do think a lot of people overvalue his pitch calling/intangibles etc., but I do think CERA is largely nonsense/noise. I'm quite surprised that DRS/rWAR even utilzes it.

Hold on... that can't even be right. rWAR uses CERA? That's a darned good reason to start using Fangraphs more often. CERA is nonsense. Because of the way backup catchers are employed it's necessarily apples-to-oranges, at best.

Hold on... that can't even be right. rWAR uses CERA? That's a darned good reason to start using Fangraphs more often. CERA is nonsense. Because of the way backup catchers are employed it's necessarily apples-to-oranges, at best.

It's not the easiest thing to find, but it appears that rWAR uses a highly modified version of CERA, called Catcher Adjusted Earned Runs Saved. Best description was here.

It is absolutely asinine to say that he doesn't care about this. You and I have had this conversation before. You have NO IDEA what he does and does not care about. Stop pretending like you do.

On a related note, here is a column Tom Boswell wrote today about how almost every one of the Nationals' starters has a better ERA when Wilson Ramos is catching instead of Kurt Suzuki. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/wilson-ramos-making-the-right-calls-for-the-washington-nationals-future/2013/08/20/e51182ce-0843-11e3-9941-6711ed662e71_story.html Amazingly, Davey Johnson even gave a quote on it:

Why? “Ramos will pitch inside more,” Manager Davey Johnson said. “I like the way Ramos sets his target better than Suzuki,” who sets his mitt very low.

I can't imagine Buck saying anything like that on the record. But Buck has gone out of his way to compliment Wieters' handling of pitchers, time after time after time. I doubt he'd go that far out on a limb about it unless he believed it was true. And Buck knows a lot more about baseball than I do.

Yeah, they have their own twist to it, and I'm sure it's well intentioned. I just don't buy it.

It's listed under the advanced defense section in Bref as Rerc (BIS runs saved from pitch calling). He's at minus 11 runs in that component alone. The last two years he was +3 and + 9 in the same component.

You have to toggle between Fangraphs and Bref to piece all the components, but the breakdown is:

Rerc (pitch calling/cera): -11

Rbunt (bunts/slow rollers): 0

Rsbc (base stealing): +2

Rgfp (Good Fielding Plays): -2 (This is from fangraphs)

So all together he's a minus 11 DRS, driven entirely by cera/pitch calling.

Archived