BA: 2013 MLB Draft Signings Central

So once again other teams have started announcing signings and the only word we have out of the O's camp is that 6th Round Pick Alex Murphy says he has agreed to terms.

Is this the Peter Angelos effect?

Just once I would like to see the top pick sign quickly, even Hobgood took longer then expected.

So once again other teams have started announcing signings and the only word we have out of the O's camp is that 6th Round Pick Alex Murphy says he has agreed to terms.

Is this the Peter Angelos effect?

Just once I would like to see the top pick sign quickly, even Hobgood took longer then expected.

I was surprised to read that the Rangers signed both of their first round picks (and for well above slot both picks, which makes me wonder how they are going to get below their bonus allotment or if they are just going to eat the penalties.)

I was surprised to read that the Rangers signed both of their first round picks (and for well above slot both picks, which makes me wonder how they are going to get below their bonus allotment or if they are just going to eat the penalties.)

It says they signed their first three picks for a total of $4,635,600 versus a slot value of $4,547,300 or so. That's only $88,300 over slot which you think they could make up for rather easily.

It says they signed their first three picks for a total of $4,635,600 versus a slot value of $4,547,300 or so. That's only $88,300 over slot which you think they could make up for rather easily.

All they really need is a senior sign somewhere in the Top 10.

All they really need is a senior sign somewhere in the Top 10.

They can actually go up to 5% over allotment on their total pool and only pay cash penalties. They are in fine shape -- Bostik bought them the room they needed all by himself.

They can actually go up to 5% over allotment on their total pool and only pay cash penalties. They are in fine shape -- Bostik bought them the room they needed all by himself.

Stotle,

Do you plan on giving your assessment of the O's draft? I saw your BP chat, but that was after day 1 and a lot of your opinions depended on what teams did on day 2, which hadn't happened yet. I'm particularly interested in Tarpley. Tall LH pitchers with good downward plane are very enticing to me. Certainly a guy who will need development, but seems like a nice upside pick.

Stotle,

Do you plan on giving your assessment of the O's draft? I saw your BP chat, but that was after day 1 and a lot of your opinions depended on what teams did on day 2, which hadn't happened yet. I'm particularly interested in Tarpley. Tall LH pitchers with good downward plane are very enticing to me. Certainly a guy who will need development, but seems like a nice upside pick.

I think BP is running Perfect Game's draft recaps. Not sure if I'm doing full looks at teams. Will probably flesh it out while at PG Nationals tomorow through Sunday.

Generally I think I understand what Baltimore was doing with the draft, and I'm fine playing the board throughout given the breakdown of the draft class on the whole. They must REALLY like Sisco to use a second round pick on him with (seemingly) no pre-draft deal in place and (seemingly) no over-allotment target requiring savings from earlier picks. It was such a deep draft for catchers I'm a bit surprised that's the direction they went with their second pick if it is simply a straight "this is our guy at this spot" pop.

I am not as high on some of the guys Baltimore appears to like, but there isn't much I can see worth any handwringing. Tarpley is okay -- needs smoothing out mechanically, and has a bad rep among some college coaches and evaluators -- but talent wise a solid get in the third round. If you believe Baltimore is good at developing arms, he's a nice one to have in the system.

I think BP is running Perfect Game's draft recaps. Not sure if I'm doing full looks at teams. Will probably flesh it out while at PG Nationals tomorow through Sunday.

Generally I think I understand what Baltimore was doing with the draft, and I'm fine playing the board throughout given the breakdown of the draft class on the whole. They must REALLY like Sisco to use a second round pick on him with (seemingly) no pre-draft deal in place and (seemingly) no over-allotment target requiring savings from earlier picks. It was such a deep draft for catchers I'm a bit surprised that's the direction they went with their second pick if it is simply a straight "this is our guy at this spot" pop.

I am not as high on some of the guys Baltimore appears to like, but there isn't much I can see worth any handwringing. Tarpley is okay -- needs smoothing out mechanically, and has a bad rep among some college coaches and evaluators -- but talent wise a solid get in the third round. If you believe Baltimore is good at developing arms, he's a nice one to have in the system.

I think we're in trouble with this pick! :D;)

The write-ups on Sisco mentioned an advanced hitting approach and despite a recent conversion, the ability to become at least an average defensive catcher. My question is this. Do you think Sisco was a fallback option after the Rays took Ciuffo or do you think this was the plan from the start? Also, where does Ciuffo have the edge on Sisco? Is is mainly catching experience or are the difference much more significant?

With the long list of difficulties transitioning from high school/college to the major leagues and the attrition rate of players drafted to those that contribute at the major league level, why would any team try to draft based on need? I can understand with top of the line can't miss prospects, but most prospects do not have that type of skillset. I didn't like many of our selections based on the players available when we made our selections.

Ugh, that analysis made me sad. Have we hired more scouts under DD's tenure? Just curious. I think the Orioles should let us do a draft by consensus and see how we do:) just give me some mocks and off we go!:)

The write-ups on Sisco mentioned an advanced hitting approach and despite a recent conversion, the ability to become at least an average defensive catcher. My question is this. Do you think Sisco was a fallback option after the Rays took Ciuffo or do you think this was the plan from the start? Also, where does Ciuffo have the edge on Sisco? Is is mainly catching experience or are the difference much more significant?

I don't know what Baltimore's plans were as far as who they hoped to get in the first round. I don't know if Sisco was always to be the second round target of choice. To me, Ciuffo has a better body for catching, is more refined behind the plate, has a higher offensive upside, and is more of a known commodity, with a deeper track record at high competition events and showcases.

Of course, there is a lot of developmental time between draft day and these players reaching the majors.

Archived