Is Johnson the new Captain Chaos?

Orioles2012

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im not trying to say that Johnson isnt a worthy closer. But he always puts you on the edge of your seat. I'm sure hes had alot of 1-2-3 shutdown innings to close out a game but man oh man, he sure can make things really exciting sometimes.

How does he stack up against Ortiz in a brawl?

Jim Johnson has allowed 1 run in his last 14 apperances, saving 12 games without a blown save. Does that sound anything like Kevin Gregg to you?

There are two kinds of closers:

1) The ones who're two bad outings away from fans calling for their heads.

2) I forget the other kind. It may just be one.

Something that needs to be kept in mind is that JJ *can* be overpowering, but when you get right down to it, he's a sinkerballer. What happened last night was kinda nerve wracking, but its what happens sometimes to a contact type pitcher. The important part is the DP ball he threw to negate the shaky start.

I'd be really interested to know if any changes have been made to his delivery or anything like that, or if he's just flat out having a random great year. Hell, those numbers would look pretty good in our 'pen, even when adjusted for the AL East.

Baseball's a funny game.

It probably didn't hurt that his arm only logged about 10 meaningful innings last year.

It would be interesting to see the effect of taking a healthy pitcher and giving him a year of rest. Maybe a garden variety pitcher could be an ace.

Definitely not Captain Chaos.

Recently, though, he's giving me the same feeling as Flat Breezy. He's probably going to get it done, but he's going to give you a heart attack in the process. Last year when JJ came in I had absolute confidence. No longer.

Definitely not Captain Chaos.

Recently, though, he's giving me the same feeling as Flat Breezy. He's probably going to get it done, but he's going to give you a heart attack in the process. Last year when JJ came in I had absolute confidence. No longer.

Funny that you mention Flat Breezy. His second year with us, he saved 20 games in 23 chances (87%) before being traded at the July deadline. Johnson is at 87% right now, but already has 31 save opportunities in just under three months. He is being called upon far more often than Sherrill ever was, and in fact, he's being called upon far more often than any other closer in baseball. His 31 save opportunities in 2013 is 4 higher than anyone else (Rivera and Grilli), and his 85 opportunities since the start of 2012 is a whopping 14 higher than the next guy (Rodney). That's a lot of burden to put on a guy.

Archived