Is Johnson the new Captain Chaos?

Orioles2012

Im not trying to say that Johnson isnt a worthy closer. But he always puts you on the edge of your seat. I'm sure hes had alot of 1-2-3 shutdown innings to close out a game but man oh man, he sure can make things really exciting sometimes.

Be careful. You could get "Chris Davis and Tommy Hunter" for Kevin Gregg this year. Just sayin'.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, but the point is, he makes things tense when others don't. He puts a bunch of runners on. Like last night.

Among others, the following closers have higher WHIPS than Jim Johnson (1.152) this season:

Rafael Soriano (1.188)

Ernesto Frieri (1.224)

Tom Wihelmson (1.182)

Mariano Rivera (1.241)

Chapman has the same exact WHIP as Johnson. So it would be nice if he put less guys on but he is far from unique amongst closers with the base runners he allows.

Yeah, but the point is, he makes things tense when others don't. He puts a bunch of runners on. Like last night.

This is a good point. It's all well and good to put up his numbers because we know he is better than Gregg, but sometimes you get that uneasy feeling watching him. And that happens more often than we would like this year.

As I remember with Gregg, though, I had that feeling almost every time he pitched when he was the "closer".

I would say Gregg's numbers this year are a bit of an outlier, too. Some team will have reality slap them in the face next year when he starts pitching closer to career norms. The real Captain Chaos is still in there.

Seriously though, what the **** is Johnson's problem?!?!?! That leadoff walk to Brantley was like a ****ing joke. None of the pitches were even remotely close. Then Giambi hammers it right down the middle. I'm almost ready to let O'Day have a shot at it.

Johnson's 5 blown saves this season have been so devastating. I can't trust a guy who relies so much on contact to navigate us through the playoffs, if we even get there.

And yet he was one of the main reasons we made the playoffs last year...

That BB was kinda nuts, was he not warned up?

One of my friends was just pointing out that JJ has been terrible when we take the lead in the 8th. I think 3 of his blown saves have happened after we take the lead in the 8th (just guessing on that). Might be something to his warmup routine in that kind of situation that leads to problems.

with anyone I could to trade him in the offseason, and was almost unanimously shouted down on this board.

Who wants to pay him 8 million next year.

Oh and I am beating the drum for trading Wieters this coming offseason

I don't want to pay him (don't even want poor Pete to pay him).

Archived